new Mora Companion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
K

KneeOh

Sorry if this has been asked to death (but i didn't want to make a new thread) Where is the cheapest place to order a mora clipper knife from, for the UK?

K

KneeOh

Sorry if this has been asked to death (but i didn't want to make a new thread) Where is the cheapest place to order a mora clipper knife from, for the UK?

never mind lol, think i got a good deal, in total... 12 pounds 99 pence
cant wait to get it.

K

KneeOh

yeh including postage and packaging. Without, it was £8.99
not bad then, i know its not alot for the knife anyways and its good value for money, but every penny counts eh? Lol

K

KneeOh

oops sorry lurch, if i had known someone on the forum owned a shop that was selling the knive, i would have bought from you rather than a random place, next time, il check out your store.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I have one given to me by a good friend. I was not aware that the tang was extended. That would be a serious improvement over the standard clippper. I like the new, smoother handle myself, grips just fine. The blade is no thicker on the carbon blade, at least that I can see. Seems the same as the Clipper. Price is about $12 here in the USA. I wish I could xray the handle to confirm the longer tang.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Hi Lurch, do the Companions you sell have the smooth handle and polished finish, or are they like the old clipper?

May 18, 2011
Scotland
Have to get myself one. I'm a massive fan of the clipper. Even though i have a few more expensive better looking knives i always use the clipper.

So the companion is basically the same as the clipper but with a longer tang and different handle?

Not sure why the would change the handle as it was great but increasing the lengh of the tang should make a already great knife even better.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
The Companion:

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/03/mora-companionclipper-extended-tang.html

A strong magnet placed on the handle will show you where the tang ends, as shown on this pic of a HighQ knife:

Thank you Steven! That confirms that the Companion does indeed have a longer tang. The magnet test is brilliant, I did not think of that before! I tested my Companion against my old Frost marked clipper and indeed, the Companion has a longer tang.

I just recieved my Companion this week and found it rather dull. It is the carbon steel version. I took my combo Japanese waterstone to it as well as a ultra-fine Japanese waterstone and then finished with a good strop with green compound. I did the whole process twice because after the first go, it was not that sharp. Better the second time around but still not as sharp as my old Frost Clipper or my RM marked Mora 510. I wonder why that is! I will keep working on it after I take it to the field a time or two. I am glad to have the longer tang for sure!.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
If you are concerned about the short tang in that beautiful plastic handle, for about the same money you could buy a Mora No1. It has a full rat tail tang that extends right through the wooden handle. It does come in a lovely plastic sheath tho' , so all that plastic goodness is not entirely lost.

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Wood handle being full tang? Not any more!

While Mora of Sweden made a better Clipper in the new Companion, using a larger blade, larger handle, and longer tang...the wood handles by Mora of Sweden can no longer be seen at the end like the old red handle Moras, so now I suspect a 3/4 tang.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE