• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Guys,and Gals
Firstly let me just mention,that although I am positive I posted my intro yesterday,it seems to have gone walkabout,so,if it suddenly turns up somewhere forgive the repeat posting.
Anyhow,I have wandered amongst your pages for a few weeks and thought it was time I made myself more than just a "guest" so,here I am.
I am from North Wales and am an avid wild camper/walker/fisher/hunter.
I am currently getting everything ready for easter,the start of my "outdoors" season. I and a few friends have decided to start this year with a "just for fun" competition on the making of an "only from nature" style hunting weapon, bows,slings etc. The rules being materials must be sourced from nature,it must be able to hit a target(rabbit) from a reasonable distance,and it must be able to kill or stun the target long enough for the hunter to go "pick it up" which should make for an interesting first camp.
Well, thats enough for a first intro, hopefully I will get to know you guys/gals more as the year progresses.
Elwyn

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hello Elwyn and welcome here...I reckon the atlatl would be the easiest weapon to make, and be the most effective, but this takes a lot of practise to use well. A spear would be easy to make. A French/Dutch arrow would work well too but you would need cordage so not as easy as an altalt. These are all fun to make and practice with but I think there are laws that stop you using them against live targets in this country. You could also cause a lot of unnecesary suffering to an animal that was only wounded and that is not what bushcraft is about. Bushcraft is a hobby in this country, we do not need to go out and kill the wildlife to exist. We do however like to practice the old ways using weapons as used in the past, but not against live targets. A good hunter will respect their quarry and get in a clean kill using a rifle meant for the job..

Hello Elwyn and welcome here...I reckon the atlatl would be the easiest weapon to make, and be the most effective, but this takes a lot of practise to use well. A spear would be easy to make. A French/Dutch arrow would work well too but you would need cordage so not as easy as an altalt. These are all fun to make and practice with but I think there are laws that stop you using them against live targets in this country. You could also cause a lot of unnecesary suffering to an animal that was only wounded and that is not what bushcraft is about. Bushcraft is a hobby in this country, we do not need to go out and kill the wildlife to exist. We do however like to practice the old ways using weapons as used in the past, but not against live targets. A good hunter will respect their quarry and get in a clean kill using a rifle meant for the job..

Thanks for the welcome guys, and yea,I realise there are many laws in place for the wild camper/hunter etc, but the weapons being made are strictly for a target and only as a way of starting the camping year. Any wild food taken is by rod and snare. Talking of wild food,can anyone recomend an idiots guide to hedgerow plants etc, not so much as a main meal, but has anyone ever had a fish from a peaty river,and wild cooked it, aakkkk,disgusting,so any plants that would compliment that type of thing?
Thanks

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Welcome to the fold Ellesari.

Shewie just noticed your avatar an nearly choked on my dinner :D

Mark

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thanks for the welcome guys, and yea,I realise there are many laws in place for the wild camper/hunter etc, but the weapons being made are strictly for a target and only as a way of starting the camping year. Any wild food taken is by rod and snare. Talking of wild food,can anyone recomend an idiots guide to hedgerow plants etc, not so much as a main meal, but has anyone ever had a fish from a peaty river,and wild cooked it, aakkkk,disgusting,so any plants that would compliment that type of thing?
Thanks

Nice one...Food for free by Richard Mabey is very good for telling you what plants to use as is Ray Mears and Gorden Hillmans book Wild food. Also Wild food by Rodger Phillips has some very good recepes.. Make sure you get your ID spot on if you are going to eat the plant...

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Talking of wild food,..... but has anyone ever had a fish from a peaty river,and wild cooked it, aakkkk,disgusting,so any plants that would compliment that type of thing?
Thanks

Hi Elessari,
Welcome to the forum.
When we were kids, we used to catch trout from a very poluted river in south Wales - the colour of the water indicating which factory was flushing upstream. One of the recipes I remember was to souse or poach the fish in water and vinegar - not sure if it cured the taste or just covered it up! Could you try keeping the fish in a bucket of clean water for a few hours to purge the peat?

ATB

Ogri the trog

Hi Elessari,
Welcome to the forum.
When we were kids, we used to catch trout from a very poluted river in south Wales - the colour of the water indicating which factory was flushing upstream. One of the recipes I remember was to souse or poach the fish in water and vinegar - not sure if it cured the taste or just covered it up! Could you try keeping the fish in a bucket of clean water for a few hours to purge the peat?

ATB

Ogri the trog

Thanks Ogri,yea there is a freshwater stream just up a little from where we wild camp in relation to the cooking wild trout episode,I suppose we could keep them in there overnight and use for a fish breakfast. I seem to remember an episode of hugh fernly whitingstalls(sp) where he had a carp overnight in fresh running water to improve the dirt taste.
Thanks mate, will def try that,and thanks for the book recomends guys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE