New lens for Canon - opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
This weekend, my main summer user lens died. Tamron 70-300 lens with macro function.

14506947177_22fa23c501_b.jpg

Actually, it still works, in that it can focus (autofocus still works) and I can take pictures with it, but the zoom has gone. It stuck, and then released so that you can turn the zoom ring but the lens does not extend or recede, so I have a fixed zoom lens. There's a nasty little rattling inside as if something has broken off. The lens has had hard use for the last 2 years and I probably bashed it on something today.

For summer, this has been my go-to lens, and most of the pictures in my photostream have been taken with it, so it isn't a bad lens. Yes, it is a bit cheap, hates low light, and dislikes several pictures being taken in quick succession, but it works and did what I wanted it to do. The again, other lenses may be better.

So, given I have a budget of about £150, tops, and these can be had for about £90, do I buy another one, buy a different lens in the same price range, or save up and buy something else, but miss out on shots in the meantime? I run a Canon EOS 1100D a.k.a. the Canon rebel T3. I used the macro function quite a lot on this lens, and a proper macro lens is already on my wish list but is out of my budget for now.

In the mean time, I've seen a few youtube videos that suggest this is a know issue with the lens, and taking it apart and removing debris from the gear mechanism is doable. I think I will give this a go, as repair is not realistic given how cheap the lens is. The lens has had hard use for two years, so I have had my money's worth, on the whole.

What do people think?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk

The sigma lens is what I am considering as an alternative. reviews suggest it is a better build quality and gives slighly better images. On the other hand it is less compact, heavier, and an unknown quantity to me. It may depend on how I get on repairing mine (if I can).

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a sigma 18-200 on my Nikon, while it is a cracking lens for the money the zoom ring has started to become loose, there is a bit of play in the mechanism and if you put the camera on its back ( lens pointing skyward) the zoom will retract under its own weight. Not really a problem for me but might be for some

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I have a sigma 18-200 on my Nikon, while it is a cracking lens for the money the zoom ring has started to become loose, there is a bit of play in the mechanism and if you put the camera on its back ( lens pointing skyward) the zoom will retract under its own weight. Not really a problem for me but might be for some

The Tamron lens would hold position. Its drawbacks are it is useless in low light, and often hunts for a focus subject. Images are soft at full zoom, but I don't use that anyway. What I like is the ability to take shotsa of insects without getting really close to them. I'm inclining towards another Tamron at the moment, if I can't fix the current one.

Of course, really I want a proper macro, and a much better zoom lens, but if I had the funds for those I wouldn't be thinking about the Tamron.

For me I have the Canon 55-250mm and that has done me well for a number of years. Ok it isn't a fast lens only going down to f4 at the wide end to 5.6 at the zoom end. I do get some decent shots out of it and have a dedicated 90mm Tamron Macro lens for any macro work I want to do and if you wanted to be a bit further away you can add some teleconvertor tubes to it.

This the latest incarnation of the lens I have:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-S-...8&qid=1405886114&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+55-250

If you really want to push the boat out. :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-100-4...386&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+telephoto+zoom+lens

I haven't used any of the sigma lenses so can't really comment on them.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
For me I have the Canon 55-250mm and that has done me well for a number of years. Ok it isn't a fast lens only going down to f4 at the wide end to 5.6 at the zoom end. I do get some decent shots out of it and have a dedicated 90mm Tamron Macro lens for any macro work I want to do and if you wanted to be a bit further away you can add some teleconvertor tubes to it.

This the latest incarnation of the lens I have:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-S-...8&qid=1405886114&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+55-250

If you really want to push the boat out. :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-100-4...386&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+telephoto+zoom+lens

I haven't used any of the sigma lenses so can't really comment on them.

If I pushed the boat out that far my wife would sink it with me aboard! I'm liking the Canon lens though. Is it just a zoon or will it macro as well?

Its mad how much some lenses cost, saw one well over £10,000! I guess I need to play the lottery more often. :)

The 55-250 is just a zoom lens.
I use it for close ups of flowers when the macro lens isn't practical.

I have a few shots on my flickr page if you want to have a look at them. I'm not sure if there is a way to filter by lens type on flickr though.
There is a group set up for the lens if you want to check the shots the quality of the shots.

Version 1
https://www.flickr.com/groups/canon55-250is/

Version 2
https://www.flickr.com/groups/2042634@N25/

Just one of my shots with the lens.
BugsFlower by pandabean, on Flickr

Just had another thought. If you have a camera shop nearby you could pop in and see if they have the canon lens and I would have thought they would let you try it out.

Or alternatively you could rent it out for a couple days to see how you get on with it. Never done that myself but I have heard of people doing that.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There are a few discussions out there on the canon vs tamron lens that you might want to have a read through if you are unsure.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/38213630
https://www.flickr.com/groups/600d/discuss/72157629964034908/

As you would expect some say one lens is better than the other but it may be worth reading through or asking over on POTN.
I haven't used the Tamron 70-300mm so not sure how it directly compares.

Interesting, but both of those discussions are about a more expensive version of the Tamron lens, without the macro, but with much better optics, and outside my budget.

You've worked really hard on this question, and I appreciate it. It has been helpful. I don't have so much money that a £100 lens purchase can be made lightly, so I will certainly shop around and try things out if I can.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi mike i got my canon 70 /300 from a camera shop second hand £100 try the shops first

Interesting, but both of those discussions are about a more expensive version of the Tamron lens, without the macro, but with much better optics, and outside my budget.

You've worked really hard on this question, and I appreciate it. It has been helpful. I don't have so much money that a £100 lens purchase can be made lightly, so I will certainly shop around and try things out if I can.

Its no problem at all, I usually spend quite a while looking (imagine kid at a sweet shop window but can't have anything) at these lenses and seeing what is affordable for me and reading the reviews before jumping in.
There are a few websites (or shops as Dave mentioned) that sell second hand lenses.

I was just quickly searching last night for info on it, thought it was the macro version.

I guess the main thing to ask yourself is what you want to do with the lens, if you want that macro capability then you could replace it with the same and that would do until you get around to getting a dedicated macro.

I do get on well with my 55-250, its fast enough for what I want it to do but it isn't my primary lens. I prefer the 18-55mm and my 50mm, I am planning to upgrade the old (7-8 years old now) kit lens and have looked at Tamron's equivalent. Especially for night time and star photography.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE