New Leather Bits & new shiney

Well I just got a new knife :D so decided to make a new sheath for it as the one that came with it didnt have any belt hoops and was mainly used as a baldrick style.

I think I am steadily getting better at leather work but by no where near the point where they are sellable products.
I still have trouble with keeping the stitching straight on the reverse side of the thick leather and there are other mistakes which are only visible to me. :p Anyone got any tips on that?

So here is the new addition to the family, a BG B&T knife which I am now fairly attached to.

4945235037_b834c37015.jpg

The knife in it's nice new sheath...

4945235183_206f7196bf.jpg

This is the new sheath with dangler as well as my now finished soft possibles pouch that I started months ago and finally got round to dying. I am thinking of making another one this time without the stud and hoop to slip the leather under.

4945234879_b72451ba14.jpg

4945235357_632bc69583.jpg

Last edited:

Gailainne

Life Member
Is there a way to get the stitching even on both sides of the leather? I know Paul was saying at the moot if you do holes on both sides and stitch through it may distort the final sheath after wetforming and if they are not lined up properly.

I'm afraid I cheat, I use impact glue on the edges to form the sheath, and then use a small dia drill in a drill stand, or a dremel, I usually have a small section of wood that I can rest the sheath on, just at the edge, where its flat, that also helps keep the holes at the same distance from the edge on both sides.

On thin leather, I normally cut a groove on both sides, after gluing, then use the stitching wheel to mark one side. I lock it in my stitching pony and use an awl, because you are looking down on the work I can usually get pretty neat even holes.

Excellent work btw, the finish and dyeing on both is really good, I like the shape of your possibles pouch, its seems to be more elongated than the design? is that right?

Stephen

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm afraid I cheat, I use impact glue on the edges to form the sheath, and then use a small dia drill in a drill stand, or a dremel, I usually have a small section of wood that I can rest the sheath on, just at the edge, where its flat, that also helps keep the holes at the same distance from the edge on both sides.

Me too! Except on "heritage" work......

Excellent work btw, the finish and dyeing on both is really good, I like the shape of your possibles pouch, its seems to be more elongated than the design? is that right?

I have a dremel that my dad gave me but it is a copy and there is the main dremel and a seperate box of parts which would be useful but the parts don't fit into the dremel. I have tried changing the little bit where they go into but still no luck. :( I guess I will stick with using an awl until I get it sorted. I did try using a drill and a very thin bit but the hole seemed to big for my liking.

I didnt think it was too elongate, I think it is narrower than Oz's pouch design. At the time I didn't have the tutorial done by Oz so was going on my own measurements. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE