New Knife made for my Brother in law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hey guys

I'm in the middle of making my second knife, this one is for my brother in law (although having seen the shape I want to keep it lol)

Ive made it from O1 tool steel kindly donated by a member of BB (KRomer)

I promised I would do a WIP so here goes

Firstly I had a play with a design
103_0022.jpg

Then I made a Template

103_0021.jpg

marked out on the steel

103_0019.jpg

And spent the next couple of hours getting the shape to where I wanted it

103_0018.jpg

103_0014.jpg

103_0012.jpg

So what do you think? Hopefully I'll be able to do the bevels this weekend and then on to the HT

As always let me know what you think

Thanks Dave

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
nice one Dave,,

i like the shape,...its a proper handfull int it?..

how thick is it?

how you putting the bevels on?...

sorry for the barrage mate,

i,m on no2 at the mo (for a mate) and same as you,....i know after making mistakes on the first the 2nd is gonna be a lot better.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Its only 3mm thick at the mo I'm toying with the idea of thinning the handle a little Allthough it fit my hand nicely, the brother in law might not like it that deep.

As for the bevels I intend to put them on with a B*****D file and a little jig I made for my first one (I'll post some pics as i go along) and as for addictive you have no idea, already got 4 more designed just waiting to see how this HT's then will be ordering the steel lol

Thanks Erik I'm taking my time so i dont make any mistakes or at least ess of them lol

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
not an egg suck Dave,...but i was told to use a second cut file as apposed to it fatherless cousin?

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
That might even be what I'm using i just assumed it was a fatherless one because it removes a lot of stock! I just use what I have to hand Which is about 4-5 Different files and some elbow grease lol. The more i look at it the more i think i need to thin the handle out, I'm going to do it from the back edge so it has a bit of a Deval look only closer to the tip

Dave

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
not an egg suck Dave,...but i was told to use a second cut file as apposed to it fatherless cousin?

it all comes down to how quickly you want to remove material, and how confident you are in what you're doing, the fatherless file will remove lots of material very quickly, so it's easier to make mistakes. you'll find that as your confidence and ability grow you'll want more and more aggresive tools and be able to get a progressively better finish with those tools. a second cut is what i'd recommend but not what i use.

as a point of interest you can actually get much more aggresive files than the aforementioned varieties of questionable parentage but they're like hens teeth these days. grinders took over from patience a long time ago.

stuart

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
it all comes down to how quickly you want to remove material, and how confident you are in what you're doing, the fatherless file will remove lots of material very quickly, so it's easier to make mistakes. you'll find that as your confidence and ability grow you'll want more and more aggresive tools and be able to get a progressively better finish with those tools. a second cut is what i'd recommend but not what i use.

as a point of interest you can actually get much more aggresive files than the aforementioned varieties of questionable parentage but they're like hens teeth these days. grinders took over from patience a long time ago.

stuart

ahhh...

cheers Stu,..

think ill stay on 2nd cut for a while as i made a booooboo on the last one

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
hey fellas a bit more progress on this its been slow going because ive been working away during the week and CBA took over on the weekends lol anyhoo here we are

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pictures but i think its looking good hopefully i'll be drilling Heat treating and handling this weekend so nearly there!!!!

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE