new knife made by lannyman

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
recieved a new blade this morning made by lannyman, super chuffed would be an understatement :red:
twas made from an SDS drill bit using his bush forge http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75847&highlight=
008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg012.jpg

so now i have a handle and sheath to make.
i was thinking of something that would juxtapose the ''forged'' aspect of the blade. now bear with me here .......
imagine a wooden/bamboo katana like this;
KatanaBamboo.jpg

but in plywood!! had the intention of shaping the handle more, so as to improve grip, but shape the sheath accordingly, so it has a nice sleek look when the knife is in the sheath. bit of oil and bish bash bosh a completely polar opposition of styles but one that i'm thinking will highlight lannymans work. (although he did give me a strange look when i told him:dunno:)
one thing i have no clue on is; brass pins. what are they and where can i get them?
any how, your comments and suggestions are welcome.
big thanks to chris (lannyman)
regards jamie.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Thats frickin cool aid! he is getting just a bit good at this! brass pins come from brass rods, I get the rod from BandQ:D I like the Jap\Scandi fusion blade idea! Jandy or scap?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
yeah, I score the rod by twisting it in some 240 grit paper to give it horizontal lines too, you could use bolts though it something ive not tried yet, like these will be giving it a go on the next one. i use araldyte precision also from bandq the blue tubes.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
oy oy, i know that blade...;)

i was really in 2 minds with this blade i love it and was very tempted to keep it, but J is a good lad and i know it will be well looked after...

glad you like it mate....

chris.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
right i've finally pulled me finger out and got cracking (only cos i have some pressies to wrap and cannot be arrised :))

1 filed stick tang to have a nice rough surface for the epoxy to bond to.

2 chiselled out the recess in one blank of ply along full length of blade and tang, i was thinking it add strength to handle by sitting nice and snug.

3 used first blank (whick was cut to a rough outline) as a template for the other half of the ''sandwich.

4 cut both of the blanks into 'sheath' and 'handle'

5 FINALLY found the epoxy, inserted tang into recess and glued blanks together.

once dry i'm thinking i should badger my mate and get a lend of his lathe and get it nicely tubular then run over a belt sander to get a more comfortable oval profile along its length. given that ply can have some voids , some filling will be needed but multiple layers of pva/ sanding should do the trick.
regards jamie.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
lovely knife jamie you can tell its one of chris's blades he definatly has his own style of home forged blade (in a very good way) look forward to seeing the finnished knife as i would nt have gone for ply wood myself but some dark wood but that would just be my choice.waiting in anticapation for the finnished pics :cool:

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
lovely knife jamie you can tell its one of chris's blades he definatly has his own style of home forged blade (in a very good way) look forward to seeing the finnished knife as i would nt have gone for ply wood myself but some dark wood but that would just be my choice.waiting in anticapation for the finnished pics :cool:

cheers bud, was looking to do something that was a massive clash of styles :pirate:
have a good xmas bud, hopefully see you in the new year.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Its great to be different so cant wait to see how it turns out.all the best mate cant wait to see everyone in the new year and get my new crimbo prezzies tested :)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey up J, that leg got you doing some crafting...;)

glad to see you are getting allong with her, i miss this one, was very tempted to keep it...:) it will be well used though and some thing differant in looks too...

if you get any voids in the handle just fill them with epoxy then sand down level...:) jobs a fish...:):):):):)

looking forward to the pic's.

regards.

chris.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
dude we all start some place and thats how i did too, worked my way up to an "H" beam anvil but still have a pants forge....

make sure you dont melt any metal in that forge though, its very deep with the heat at the bottom, i melted a file made blade when i tried to HT it in the same sort of thing, melted the first half of the blade clean off...:(:(:(

keep up the good work and enjoy bthe forging and festive times ahead, im working, no forging for me, just a bit of chain saw fun when i get time, a trees down at work....:):):):)

keep it up gents.

regards.

chris.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
bit of an update;

went to my mates and had a bash at his lathe, got a rough oval (in conjuction with a belt sander) whereupon the ply popped, it had to be glued but also took the opportunity to get some baize inside the sheath for a more snug fit. unfortunately i got only pre lathe pics so far as i got carried away with a hobo line and general pratting about.

002.jpg
001.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
010.jpg
011.jpg

next week another session so shall have more recent pics, and a bowl.

regards jamie.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE