New ish toy

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I was up the woods collecting some wood and remembered to take some photos of my new hawk :) Its made by a Polish make made and fitted the handle myself :)

DSCF0251.jpg

DSCF0253.jpg

DSCF0265.jpg

DSCF0260-1.jpg

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Very nice looking toy Russ.
I'm not allowed any more axes till the GB SFA triplets are broken up!
I keep telling her (SWMNFMAC) that they are all by different smiths and
therefore not technically the same axe at all but she just snorts and points to the other
axes hanging from the ceiling.I'm so misunderstood! :sad6:
Cheers , Simon
PS (SWMNFMAC) She who must never find my axe collection.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I think it's a beauty. Isn't it technically an axe because it is hung, rather than slided on? Or am I talking jibberish?:confused: I mean with a hawk the underside of the eye is bigger, rather than the underside with an axe.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think it's a beauty. Isn't it technically an axe because it is hung, rather than slided on? Or am I talking jibberish?:confused: I mean with a hawk the underside of the eye is bigger, rather than the underside with an axe.

No you're correct. At least partly. With a hawk, the OVERSIDE of the eye is bigger and the handle goes in from the top side. It's not wedged but held there through centripital force when you swing.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
No you're correct. At least partly. With a hawk, the OVERSIDE of the eye is bigger and the handle goes in from the top side. It's not wedged but held there through centripital force when you swing.

The head is held on by the shape of helve and centrifugal force. You apply centripetal force to stop the whole thing flying off into the distance. Centrifugal means "to flee the centre" and Centripetal means "to seek the centre"

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The head is held on by the shape of helve and centrifugal force. You apply centripetal force to stop the whole thing flying off into the distance. Centrifugal means "to flee the centre" and Centripetal means "to seek the centre"

So the force that is pushing back against the head (and holding it in place) is therefore centripetal? Centrifugal force is what would make the axe fly off if the equal and opposite centripetal force wasn't there.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
So the force that is pushing back against the head (and holding it in place) is therefore centripetal? Centrifugal force is what would make the axe fly off if the equal and opposite centripetal force wasn't there.

Centrifugal force applied to head, centripetal force on helve.

If the helve taper slipped through the head then as you say the centrifugal force would cause the head to move AWAY from the centre of rotation.
At this point the centripetal force that you were applying to the helve would have no opposing force and thus the helve would rapidly move TOWARDS the centre of rotation and **** you in the nuts.:(

It's a bit of a bugger to explain though.

Effectivly you can't have one without the other as with no centripetal force pulling the helve towards the C.O.R. the head wouldn't be travelling in an arc, thus no centrifugal force trying to force it away from the C.O.R.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE