New(ish) Quaich

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I took the opportunity during the cold winter evenings to revisit some of my earliest carvings. This particular birch quaich I carved a couple of years ago when I had no hook knife, and used a spoon gouge. Now I have better tools I have hollowed it out a bit deeper, and thinned the walls to make it look more elegant and, as a side benefit, to increase the drink holding capacity.
P1290096.jpg

The small bowl shown behind is to illustrate where my carving skills were two years ago.
However as the quaich was nearing its new shape, some internal stresses were released and a crack developed in the rim near the handle:aargh4::banghead:. This I glued up with superglue, and then put a complete superglue finish on it (three coats, rubbed down with wet and dry between each). Finally a topcoat of beeswax was applied.
Thanks for looking.

pwb

Nice work Muddypaws :)

I have hollowed it out a bit deeper, and thinned the walls to make it look more elegant and, as a side benefit, to increase the drink holding capacity.

Always pays to have more capacity in a Quaich ;)

Very nice indeed. All you need now is a bottle of good malt whisky!:)

Definitely , as it's been re-worked it's got to be tested :D.

Pete.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Thanks for the positive comments guys! I'll be testing it out soon, and I might use some home made blaeberry vodka liqueur. That will show up how good the finish is, by leaving a stain in any imperfections, but at least it will then have some character.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE