New Husqvarna Hatchet Bad Finish & New Style Leather Sheath + Pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pacman99uk

Mar 9, 2011
Manchester
Hey Guys, Received my Husqvarna hatchet today so thought I would make a quick post about it (the other posts are of the wetterlings made husqvarna hatchet, the new ones I believe are Hultafors)

Initial Impressions:

Its nice but has some small issues.

First thing i noticed was the new sheath, People who bought one of these before got a large sheath with a strap that goes around the handle and was probably meant for Husqvarna's larger axe, This has been replaced with a sheath that fits the hatchet perfectly but has no strap.
DSCF0886.jpg

Out of the packaging this thing was pretty blunt, not so much of a problem but i do like "out of the box" sharp. A few minutes of sharpening and minor re-profile and it was fine.
DSCF0867.jpg

I tested it on seasoned wood both splitting and cutting, really nice and the blade remained sharp even after i had finished.

The thing that annoyed me a bit was the grind marks on the side of the axe head (the older models had polished grinds) you can see where the 2 corner grinds have been made in the metal.
DSCF0868.jpg

Good thing about the new models is you get a metal ring now to keep the head in place better, the older ones had no metal ring, just the wedge.
DSCF0871.jpg

Overall its a good axe but the finish could be a bit nicer, the handles comfortable but i found myself grabbing tight while using it because it tends to slip slightly, I could probably do with sawing some 1mm grooves into the handles for better grip.

Anyone have any tips to get the exposed edge of the axe to a mirror polish like the older models?

-Warren

Last edited:

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
The sheath/mask is similar to the one on my Snow & Neally Hudson Bay (Modified by the Backyard Bushman) It sits on the outside of my rucksack. I have had it for quite a while with never a hint of slipping off, though I agree it looks as if it should.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you want a mirror polish, you can work up through a few grades of wet & dry, say e.g:

P180,P240,P400,P800,P1200, then You can go with P1500 or even P2000 but I'd stick at 1200 and then autosol it.

This is of course all by hand, no machines involved, if you have a polishing wheel.............................:surrender:

cheers

Steve

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
I bought one of these a while ago and didnt like the sheath (same as you have) and got Rancid Badger to make me a decent one, which he did, Like yours it wasnt too sharp out the pack but didnt take much to get a decent edge on it.

Pacman99uk

Mar 9, 2011
Manchester
If you want a mirror polish, you can work up through a few grades of wet & dry, say e.g:
P180,P240,P400,P800,P1200, then You can go with P1500 or even P2000 but I'd stick at 1200 and then autosol it.This is of course all by hand, no machines involved, if you have a polishing wheel....
cheers
Steve

thanks, ill give it a go with the wet and dry. think ill have to buy a polishing wheel or maybe an attachment for my bench grinder!

-P

Pacman99uk

Mar 9, 2011
Manchester
I bought one of these a while ago and didnt like the sheath (same as you have) and got Rancid Badger to make me a decent one, which he did, Like yours it wasnt too sharp out the pack but didnt take much to get a decent edge on it.

yeah, i could run my finger with moderate pressure along mine just fine, its nice and sharp now though :D the sheath sounds good, do you have any pics?

-P

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I think I would rather have the polished grind... Looks like its been sharpened with an angle grinder?
Nothing that cant be fixed though and half the fun. There's a great tutorial/sticky above.

They do use very good steel :)

Last edited:

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
Good post!
Husq axes are made to use and not to show off ;) . Very good price for the axe you get.
I have 2 of them The forest and the Hatchet. Also some minor work on the bevel and there good to go.

Pacman99uk

Mar 9, 2011
Manchester
I think I would rather have the polished grind... Looks like its been sharpened with an angle grinder?
Nothing that cant be fixed though and half the fun. There's a great tutorial/sticky above.

They do use very good steel :)

yep, definitely sharpened(rather badly) with an angle grinder. shame really that they went for the quick/cheap option but i guess i can polish and sharpen it myself and i cant really complain on the quality for £20!

I have to agree the steel is very good, takes a nice edge and chopped through some seasoned oak and pine and it was still sharp afterwards.

Has anyone tried to make an axe handle out of oak? i have some really nice grained oak and was thinking of making a slightly longer handle which would suite me better being quite tall.

-Warren

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Lovely Hatchet! I love mine to bits and I like how they are all unique.

Here are some of my sheaths for some idea's for you.

P1020522.jpg

P1020758.jpg

P1020762.jpg

Pacman99uk

Mar 9, 2011
Manchester
Lovely Hatchet! I love mine to bits and I like how they are all unique.
Here are some of my sheaths for some idea's for you.

wow, really like those, thanks for posting. Think i will have to buy some leather and give one a go. did you polish up the axe head yourself or receive it like that?

-P

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
The top axe is not a huskie, infact its not my axe but made the sheaths for a friend. I belive he polished it up with sandpaper.

Pacman99uk

Mar 9, 2011
Manchester
i used a metal file to fix up the edge and a double sided diamond stone (course/smooth grit) to sharpen the blade. i have an electric whetstone with a leather buffing wheel to remove the burr but you could use an old belt and an abrasive paste if you were stuck.

to be honest if i were buying everything new again i would invest in a few decent bench whetstones from course to very fine at home and while away i would use the lansky puck and a small file.

-p

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE