New hedge

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Spent much of today planting the hawthorn hedge I'd ordered. The plants didn't arrive when they were supposed to so I had to heel them in over the weekend.

null_zps3fbb778a.jpg

About 120 plants in all, around 18m

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a lovely thing is a hawthorn hedge, and very stock (and people) proof; but you're a brave man, it can be a nightmare to trim and clean up behind :sigh:
My Dad planted one nearly fifty years ago, my brother still lives in the house, and he finally grubbed it out ten years ago. Every tiny wee scrap and thorn you cut off needs to be picked up or else your hands or feet are in peril for years. He'd just had enough of keeping it tidy.

We have holly growing in our beech hedge, and it's just about as bad as the hawthorn.

Birds love them though, insects like spiders happily colonise them, and they're hardy. Kept trim there's not much goes through or over a hawthorn hedge :)

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Keep it trimmed and the straggly tops pruned off and it'll be 6' high and nice and thick in four or five years (based on the ones we planted that time ago). You can get it higher, quicker but a light trim twice a year encourages it to bush rather than bolt.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Would be nice... don't know how long it will take to get to that size, though
Probaly about 7 to 9 years.
Good to see the geo tex stuff, last thing you want is for the saplings to dry out when we get the inevitable heat wave's later this year....Looks like you did a proper job. Did you add any manure or compost?
I just carved a few spoons from hawthorn, its tough as bakelite, and will develop a nice glossy patina in time.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Probaly about 7 to 9 years.
Good to see the geo tex stuff, last thing you want is for the saplings to dry out when we get the inevitable heat wave's later this year....Looks like you did a proper job. Did you add any manure or compost?
I just carved a few spoons from hawthorn, its tough as bakelite, and will develop a nice glossy patina in time.

I don't like the thought of spraying so have had the membrane down for a couple of weeks. It's pretty thin stuff but it's a double layer there (1.5m folded in half). Didn't add any compost.

We're on sandy soil here so despite the rain, it's quite dry when you get a few inches down. There are new springs everywhere coming up from animal holes (one with a frog in it or possibly a toad) but it's not a quagmire in the paddock. Top few inches of soil is pretty mushy but hopefully we can collect enough water to see us through the Summer. Hopefully I can rig up a pump from the well if it ever stops raining!

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Second being careful with hawthorn trimmings. Lost many an inner tube on the wheelbarrow to them and the odd car tyre puncture too. Could you have planted on a angle to promote the laying? A crisscross pattern perhaps? But then I know nothing about such things...

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Second being careful with hawthorn trimmings. Lost many an inner tube on the wheelbarrow to them and the odd car tyre puncture too. Could you have planted on a angle to promote the laying? A crisscross pattern perhaps? But then I know nothing about such things...

You didn't mention that when you trimmed my bush...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE