new hat band

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
i decided that the hat band on my akubra stockman needed replacing. so i took off the cheap and nasty original hat band and replaced it with a cheap and nasty paracord one!
IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

the naked hat
IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

the finished product and i managed to reit the buckle from the original hat band
IMG_0360.jpg

thanks for looking rob

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Just checked on their website & they say the band is made from 'bonded leather' which is just scrap leather fibres, compressed & glued then an artificial coating put on the surface...a sort of leather chipboard (or paper mache )......strange that Akubra uses such crappy materials, bit like 'spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar'...:(

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just checked on their website & they say the band is made from 'bonded leather' which is just scrap leather fibres, compressed & glued then an artificial coating put on the surface...a sort of leather chipboard (or paper mache )......strange that Akubra uses such crappy materials, bit like 'spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar'...:(

Yeah you're right. I just looked at my Snowy River and it looks quite a bit better. Visually at least it seems more like like real leather and it's a tighter 6 plait braid, But it is advertised as bonded leather.

Anyway that's a nice paracord braid the OP did.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thats a good job there .X1L.

Considering how much akubras cost it is a poor quality hat band. I purchased 2 hats(from Australia), as i was'nt sure what size i was, & they arrived 2 weeks apart, being impatient, i could'nt wait for the second one to arrive, so wore this one straight away, though its a bit big(59cm)the other fits better(58cm)but just got left in its box other than being tried on.

Rob

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thats a good job there .X1L.

Considering how much akubras cost it is a poor quality hat band. I purchased 2 hats(from Australia), as i was'nt sure what size i was, & they arrived 2 weeks apart, being impatient, i could'nt wait for the second one to arrive, so wore this one straight away, though its a bit big(59cm)the other fits better(58cm)but just got left in its box other than being tried on.

Rob
Mine came with a few strips of thin padding to insert in the sweatband to tighten the fit a bit if needed. If yours didn't come with any then almost any thin material you have can be used to adjust the fit; even tissue paper, but thin strips of soft cloth would be better.

This video shows a short tutorial on fitting. The method I referred to starts at about 2:10 into it www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOK0AI2Ikvw

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE