New Forest Outing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hi all. Just a very quick question, so I didn't want to post in the Out and About section. Looking for a nice place to go in the New Forest tomorrow. I've been there a few times, on college trips and things but I feel like I've seen too much of the Forest's heathland element. And round about where I live (Ferndown) there's really only heathland and plantation. So I'm looking for a nice stroll in what you folks consider the best bit of broad-leaved woodland in the New Forest. I've already been to Knight Wood and seen the grand old oak, and been to Boldrewood, although I believe that's mostly conifer if I remember correctly. If anyone could link a website which has a good list of the best natural spots in the Forest, that'd be great too.

Cheers.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
There may be such a site but, if there is, I'm unaware of it. We tend to prefer finding our our routes from the map.

The walk I posted on here the other day takes in a lot of the habitats offered by the Forest and is quite an enjoyable walk. You could try starting off from the Amberwood car park and finding a route. Alternatively, you could find a route from the High Corner Inn over to the Royal Oak, Fritham (best pub in the Forest?). Another possibility would be starting from The New Forest Inn and heading for St James Hill.

Last edited:

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Another place worth a visit (although not the New Forest) is Hengistbury Head. It can get busy if the weather is fine, so I recommend going when it's raining.

Hurst Castle is also worth a visit. I would suggest walking out on the shingle spit and then catching a ferry back to Key Haven.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE