New CX bike - Orbea any good??

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Orbea is a good brand, Spanish. They all come with a lifetime warranty. I work in a bike shop and we stock Orbea, haven't had any of the cross bikes in but their other stuff is pretty nice.

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I wouldn't drop a grand on a bike I couldn't test ride - support your local bike shop instead :)

Just my opinion of course

Rat

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yes agree but the local bike shop stocks cheapo nasty stuff. The other nearest bike shops are bigger chains such as Edge / cycleworks and Leisure lakes or Evans. The next town on has a LBS but it has very little stock variation and nothing for me. He caters for the cheaper end with hybrids or the higher end custome build road bikes. Basically you come in with a budget of £600 to say £1000 and he doesn't really like your custom. Another LBS in that town has a limited brand range. Basically Trek, Ridley, Dawes and some either Trek or GT I can't recall. If I'm going to shops like Evans or Leisure Lakes I might as well get the same bike I can look at there online and save some money. Try at Evans then buy elsewhere for less dosh. I think that is quite a sensible approach if you don't have a good LBS. Besides the LBS has poor purchasing power and limited stock. They'd have to buy in stock for me to look at as unlikely to hold bikes in a larger size (I would probably need the largest size in any model).

I agree with supporting smaller independants where I can but not when it is not reasonable to do so.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I did think about the Genesis but not too happy with bikes with Sora front and Tiagra rear mech and shifters. Its the shifters and rear mech that is important but I do think each spec part works better when integrated throughout the bike. Don't agree with dropping the spec of the front mech just to meet a price point. Better to move that price point and complete the equipment spec all at the same level.

Just my opinion though.

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
I have an Orbea Aspen road bike and haven't had any problems with it. Granted, before that I had a steel framed peugeot that was older than I was so I don't have a great deal of experience with mid to high range bikes.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Since gone looking at audax / winter trainers. In particular the Ribble one. Can get a Shimano 105 specced (throughout) bike for about £865 whereas other brands would cost about £1200 for the similar specced bike. Makes me think the fram is duff or something else is not quite right. Anyone had a Ribble recently? Thought I read somewhere they started getting their frames and possibly whole bikes made up cheaply in China recently and the quality isn't as good. Does worry me that a £1200 bike is costing less than £900 in another brand.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I've got an orbea elorrio which is a hybrid. I love it. Done about 2500 miles over 5mm years or so. Cost about 350 quid but I had a pannier rack and a different saddle put on.

Done long days in the sales and commuted to work lots.

Very little quell done on it. new brake blocks, replaced peddle crank and chain. Not even certain that rear sprockets have been changed

Jay

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I use a ribble winter audax (sloping top tube model) as my main commuter bike.

The frame is very well made and has superb handling. Goes like it is on rails. It's very much a 'race' geometry and the rear triangle is too small to carry panniers.

Ribble cut corners on some things and not others. The wheels were badly machine built on my bike and didn't last long. I should have had them relaced by a good wheelbuilder. Some parts, such as the mudguards, are cheap. The rest is good - they tend to sell 'whole' groupsets (ie, if you buy 105, you get all 105 parts). I also found their after-sale support to be good.

I haven't kept a log of mileage on the Ribble, but reckon it must be around 15 000miles by now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE