New cookset, just delivered

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I've just received delivery of a Trangia 27-5 ul cookset. I had great fun opening it :cool:. Felt like a kid on Christmas morning:):

Is it always gonna be like this when i buy kit ?

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Just had my Craghoppers come from Field and Trek after ordering yesterday. Getting new stuff is always exciting!

that means mine might be here any minute :) New stuff is brilliant - its still like a surprise even when it's from yourself!

EDIT: Speak of the devils! ;)

Last edited:

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
39685703.jpg

I got the meths burner from the local Army surplus store For 4 quid, Fits perfect, Gonna give it a trial run later in the Garden lol

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
That is shiney, lol.
Mines knocking on for around 25+ yrs old now, full of dents and dinks, still works although it is shiney no more.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
The joys of new kit! It never ends. I always do SWMBO's head in when I get new stuff, like a kid in a sweet shop. Guess bushcrafters never grow up!!

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
yeah, everything but the meths burner, I tried both burners out last night,
Obviously the meths takes a while longer.
Its a nice, light, compact set, The only criticism i have is , The hose on the gas burner for me seems a little short, That apart, nice bit of kit.

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
if you get the propane/butane gas cannisters from a plumber's merchant (or screwfix etc) it is a lot cheaper and normally is a higher propane content than the camping ones.

I have both gas and meths with my old Trangia and have to admit I tend to use spirits over gas - I think it's something to do with not knowing quite how much gas is left in a cannister, you can see how much meths and after a while know exactly how long it will last you before you run out. I did start using the gas but found I was carrying the meths bottle and burner with me anyway and as I'm never in that much of a hurry to have a brew these days I only use the gas when in a base camp. But then I usually have the landy and that's got two big Fokker burners..... (honest they are really called that!)
But still a nice shiny kit tho! nice to get shiny stuff now an then eh?

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
Oh BTW, there was a thread on here somewhere a while ago about the Trangia kettle being worth the carry. I'd agree with the sentiment as it makes taking tea in the afternoon sooo much more civilised! and it's a good stowage space for the burner too!

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
The second question is does anyone get a sense of guilt when buying for oneself....?! Especially after the christmas morning feeling has gone.

As for stoves I find myself returning to hexi fuel for three day trips. As Im normally walking all day, eat cold foods and only brew up at night for me personally its not worth the weight of my gas cooker...

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
...... The only criticism i have is , The hose on the gas burner for me seems a little short, ...

I've found this is a problem on a lot of stoves (including the more expensive ones),I wish there was an easy way to extend them.

MB

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I tend to use spirits over gas - I think it's something to do with not knowing quite how much gas is left in a cannister, you can see how much meths and after a while know exactly how long it will last you before you run out.
I suffer the same dilema. I saw at GoOutdoors a temperature driven gauge for large gas bottles which sticks on (and is reuseable) and wondered whether this would work on the small gas cannisters. Anyone tried these out?
alan

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I too enjoy buying stuff online then getting it through the door. Or at work in my case. I get a call up from reception saying there's a package for me and I run down there and have to try to resist from opening it up and playing with it all day. However, when I do come home it is play time!!

It is all well and good getting the goodies but the guilt at buying online on a whim thinking that perhaps I didn't really need it and it was a luxury, that you could have spent the money on something you need foor thee house, car or significant other. The looong wait until it gets to you. Why can't they send it down the internet / telephone line? However all that goes out the window when the package gets opened and playtime commences. :D

I still have loads of gear bought over thee internet that never gets used. Perhaps this internet thing is not as good as I think it does at the time I give it my card details!!

I am learning new skills now and instead of buying more stoves and the like I made my first can meths stove yesterday. I think I now have a new bug that wwill replace gear buying online. I am going to make more gear now. Still, reckon it will be pefecting meths stoves for some time. I am a UL backpacker or at least trying to be afterall.

Does everyone on this site like and highly rate Trangias???? Are there any out there like me who actually think they are too heavy and there are better options out there?!

I'll get my coat and leave I think.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know folks swear by those wee trangia burners but I'm not much of a fan. I preferred the little pressurised Tilley stoves.
The Trangia cooksets are good though :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE