New Bushcraft Skills?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
What bushcraft skills are you looking forward to getting stuck into over these next few months? I've not tried my hand at carving a wood spirit, so I fancy that. I'm also reviewing Dan Hume's book, 'The Art of Fire' and I'm re-inspired to have a go at some other fire lighting methods, I've had a go at most of them, and been successful but I don't really have any proficiency, so that's what I'm looking forward to I think, more time around the fire after it's been made in different ways...

How about you?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
For me it's plants. I know a few but i want to get to know more
the trouble is i'm one of those that struggle learning from books in the way that is often needed for plant ID and especially their properties.
I shall persevere though...
Also, i've owned a MIG welder for years but never managed to set it up properly. Any welding I've needed to do i have managed with an arc welder. it's time to grab the MIG welder by the horns and get the darn thing going properly at least. i know some people that understand MIGs so i can pick their brains...

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
Would like to become proficient with flint and steel, at the moment its a bit hit and miss whether or not I can get a fire going with it!

bearbait

Not exactly bushcraft but looking forward to trying out my Wynnchester bedroll/swag for the first time for a couple of nights now the days are lengthening out nicely. Equinox just a couple of days ago so Spring is now here, according to me at least.

Don't mind short days, but in camp trying to get all the admin done before dark makes for a long night.

My first goal for this year was to teach myself to make custom-handled firesteels.

Over the past two months I've slowly been getting better at it. My first ones don't look as nice. Here's a picture of one of the early ones. It's made from spalted maple burl to match the handle of my bushcraft knife. I wrote an article with instructions for how to make them (here). I need to update it with pictures of recent (and better looking) firesteels I've made.

1-FiresteelWithKnife.jpg

My second goal is to improve my Bird ID skills. I'm spending Saturday with an ornithologist learning to identify sparrow species. Heavy rain is predicted (of course).

My third goal is to backpack the Skyline to the Sea trail near my home in northern California. This is not a skill, but I hope to improve my backpacking (navigation, packing, cooking, shelter, etc.) skills. They've languished because I have not put effort into doing a lot of multi-day backpacks.

Later this summer, I intend to (learn how to) make a soaproot brush from Soaproot plants I've been growing the past two years. I think the bulbs are large enough for me to harvest for the glue and husk material I need to construct the brushes.

My last goal is to visit Alaska. This is not a skill, but something I've wanted to do for a long while. I need to get off my butt and figure out how to make it happen.

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Ordered a copy of Michael Finkel's book "The Stranger In The Woods" about the North Pond Hermit. That will keep me busy till the weather improves a little and I can get out to my favorite secluded hedgerow and try bowl burning again.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Looking forward to doing a bit more experimental cooking, usually I opt for something you can chuck in a pot with water and let boil. After getting my firebox I’m really keen to experiment with over the coals cooking (and learning temp control, roasting and maybe even baking.
Also want to work on my whittling, though I love carving spoons I have done them to death. Got the “carving the little guys” book for Christmas and have been drooling over some of the recent figurines I’ve seen on here recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
My list of bushcraft skills to learn is never-ending....

I'd like to learn a little more about wild edibles this year and incorporate some of my foraged goodies into my campfire cooking. Will aim to keep it simple; first and foremost I'd like to use nettles to make tea and add them into some meals. I'd also like to try some pine needle tea as I have a few of them on my permission. Then I'll be looking forward to the fruits later in the year and try making some nice deserts. In between that time I think I'll be taking my 'food for free' book out on some camping trips and see what else I can find.

Continuing on this theme I'd also like to improve my tree ID, I have a good knowledge on a few trees, but there's lots more to learn. I'm also keen to understand more about the woods that are best for firewood.

I am working to refine my knowledge of fire lighting. I don't like the fact that I often default to birch bark as my natural tinder material and would like to learn more about other useful tinders that I can source in my local woodland. There's lots of clematis, I know that works, so I think that'll be my next experiment.

Continue to volunteer and help the landowners maintain the woodland. This in turn is helping me share knowledge and achieve my above stated aims. Plus it's always a good workout....who needs a gym membership when you have a woodland to manage!

Finally, this is not bushcrafty, but I'm desperate to see one of the many Tawny Owls that live in my local woodland. Often heard but rarely seen! It's obviously not helpful that they're nocturnal but whenever I walk around the woods I am always looking up at the gnarly old Beech and Oak trees to see if I can see one snoozing.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I recently bought a copy of "Spon" and, on the strength of it, will be trying to carve some different shapes and sizes of spoon. I'll also be continuing with trying to improve my knowledge of plants, their uses and taxonomic names - an ongoing struggle! Along with the normal hurly-burly of everyday life and practising the skills I already have, I think that should keep me busy enough!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hey Tiley, do you fancy doing a review of the book? and do let us see some pictures of your creations.

Barney, sounds like a great list of stuff and I completely agree with the foraging, I'm so poor at that, I learn stuff and then don't use it enough and forget it, then learn again.... Good luck with the Tawny Owl spotting.

Sam, how are you getting on with the hand drill? is it a little quicker now? Where did you get your set?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Hey Tiley, do you fancy doing a review of the book? and do let us see some pictures of your creations.

Barney, sounds like a great list of stuff and I completely agree with the foraging, I'm so poor at that, I learn stuff and then don't use it enough and forget it, then learn again.... Good luck with the Tawny Owl spotting.

Sam, how are you getting on with the hand drill? is it a little quicker now? Where did you get your set?

I'll happily review it and take a few pictures of the bits of mangled tree that result. I'd better get started...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE