New book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Stumbled on to this on amazon is this the new book from Ray Mears?

0340834803.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
The next installment of the series is in the spring but you missed the first round of programs. It was devided into 2 chunks, one autumn 2004 one spring 2005.

Bill

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Yep that's the one :biggthump The book was supposed to be out in sept when the series was on and then they moved it to the end of the series to release it I think.

Bill

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
how many books has ray actually made.. how many of them are the same.. how many are still in print..? i seem to keep stumbling on ones i didnt know about!

B

bombadil

tomtom said:
is this another book such as Essential bushcraft/outdoors handbook

or is this another books of photos al la this one..
000716369X.jpg
:rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:
Boy, did I feel stupid when I bought "Bushcraft". A lot of paper filled entirely with pictures and shameless plugs of granny b axes :nono: (Not that they need plugging). His first is definately the best, and the only one I would keep in my library.
(Sorry about the rant) :rant:

jakunen

Native
Have to admit that his later books do seem to be more pretty pictures and less practical instruction.

I'm with a lot of other people on here who appear to think the same as me that if you get a Nesmuk, Graves and one other that escapes me poor 'ol addled braincell, you've basically got all the bushcraft books you'll ever need...

A lot of the more recent books, whoever the author, as pointed out several by several people, use the same diagrams and to my mind are just the old stuff re-hashed with a glossy cover and some updated kit.

There doesn't really seem to be anyone out there currently that has anything new to say or add to the 'classics'.

Well that IMO anyway...

B

bombadil

jakunen said:
I'm with a lot of other people on here who appear to think the same as me that if you get a Nesmuk, Graves and one other that escapes me poor 'ol addled braincell, you've basically got all the bushcraft books you'll ever need...

A lot of the more recent books, whoever the author, as pointed out several by several people, use the same diagrams and to my mind are just the old stuff re-hashed with a glossy cover and some updated kit.

There doesn't really seem to be anyone out there currently that has anything new to say or add to the 'classics'.

Well that IMO anyway...

Forgive my ignorance, but who is Nesmuk? I'm always interested in expanding my library, and if there are some good old-fashioned books out there with all the gloss, I'd love to know about them.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Nessmuk is properly named George Washington-Sayers IIRC he is an old time american trail guide/huntsman/fisherman and general backwoods man! who wrote a number of "wood craft" "backwoods" books/manuals about his life/experiences/techniques for backwoods life.. the most popular being probably "woodcraft" which sometimes pops up on UK Evil-BAY

jakunen

Native
Nessmuk (spelt it right this time!) is to my mind the godfather of bushcraft.

Womble and Gary I think both have his books. There are very informative with clear, concise instructions. A lot of modern books are basically his works modernised and many of the illustrations you see in a lot of these modern books seem to be taken straight from his books.

Despite the fact that his books were written a while ago, they are STILL highly relevant to the modern bushcrafter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE