new, big cat sightings!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
weird link this but when i visit the in-laws i do a bit of bushcraft stuff or try new bits of kit on their farm land in the fens.

last time(2 weeks ago) my father in law was being very protective about me and asked me not to go out in the dark, i though they saw some strangers, or had locals playing up, no, they were concerned about a big cat that was seen the day before!

their plot is on a desolate main road inbetween march and wisbech often drivers walk to their gate for assistance (no fuel ect).
aparently some guy did this the night before saw a big black "puma" type cat tried to take pictures with his phone camera (7X) but it was too dark, he said he didn't want to be linked with the sighting!

my father inlaw went on to say three old women also saw the cat, later claiming they were drunk.

also there were recent reports of foals being attacked in the local area!

again he went on to say his son(my brother in law) had seen it sit on a mound of sand, near their land, he also saw it another time.

again he said another time they followed said cat at a distance in their car all the way through their land till it hopped over the fence!

and finally he mentioned a time in the middle of the night when the dogs were barking and they heard huge bangs on their roof, the banging went one side of the house (bungalow)to the other then onto farm buildings, then dissapeared.

possibly the sound of a large cat bounding onto and over the building, a fox would have been much quieter.

my father in law keeps goats, turkeys, ducks geese, ect so there is pleanty of reason for a big cat to be interested!

though the farm is in the fens, a vast flat open area of mostly crop farming there are small patches of woodland, and i personally have seen muntjack deer only half a mile from the farm.

by the way the surrounding land is mostly fields , most being privately owned, plus some huge estates, never open to public a big cat could easily survive, out of sight, hardly ever seeing a human.
it has deer, farm animals, horses, sheep, all easily in reach, then tens of square miles to dissapear into without being seen!

make your own mind up but it does seem possible! :shock:

i have not made my mind up yet, i believe my father in law, but i want proof!

i went out the next day to try to see tracks but i haven't seen any yet!

i'm fairly sure he won't let me camp overnight on his land because of all the recent sightings..... :rant: well what can you do :?:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
right so i'll hold the steak and get my wife to film?

but seriously, if it is as real as it seems i don't want to mess with a big furry killing machine! that's if it got that close!

i don't want to reveal the location for obvious reasons but it might seem the ideal place to "stake out" (pardon the pun :roll: ) to see what happens!

sightings seem to be getting more common.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
ok i was being partly serious.. i was thinking more tripod etc.. but what would be best would be if you could pick up traks and find a place it frequents or a place it i forced to go.. such as a gap in a hedge.. you get the idea..

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
yeah....i just don't know when or where it will show up. could be a long wait! :?:

i do hava an infra red night vision system, and an automatic infra red sensor switch to record, thing so theoretically i could just leave the camera somewhere and it would film anything that moved in front of the camera!

still have to be very very lucky! :wink:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Big cats are amazingly quiet. Their stealth has to compensate for their size when stalking their prey. As an example, a friend and I were hunting, actually, we were scouting in the afternoon and we happened on a cougar resting on the far side of a deadfall. My friend had passed on one side of the tree and me on the other. The cat scared us chitless when it jumped uphill 18 of our paces with one leap and disappered over a rise at a full run. The only sound we heard was the cats growl and the loose dirt spraying as he launched. We heard no footfalls what-so-ever. I have been close to or encountered 4 lions in the years I've been in bush. I've seen twice that from a distance and two were paralleling my movements. A very unsettling situation to be in, but I've yet to come close to being eaten, so I guess they were just practicing. :shock: :eek:):

If the cat was there, tracks will be hard to miss and trust me, there will be tracks if it was in the area. If the cat is staying in the area and not traveling, it should be just a matter of looking and you should be able to find some sign of it's existence.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
the general opinion of my father in law seems to be that the cat may use his land as an out post rather than a regular hunting ground so much because of the dogs, and presence of my in-laws which seems sensible.

paw prints should be pretty easy to spot in the area due to all the mud in the fields.

i shall keep a look out!

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
the general opinion of my father in law seems to be that the cat may use his land as an out post rather than a regular hunting ground so much because of the dogs, and presence of my in-laws which seems sensible.

paw prints should be pretty easy to spot in the area due to all the mud in the fields.

i shall keep a look out!
Take a digi camera when you look just in case :biggthump

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
RAPPLEBY2000 said:

i shall keep a look out!

thanks for the thread.. keep us posted :)

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Fortean Times magazine do an annual round-up of ABC (Alien Big Cat) sightings and reports, which is well worth reading next time you're camping out and fancy scaring the willies out of yourself.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I've seen one twice - nothing to be afraid of - they're just big puddy cats right? the worst they'll do is bat you around a bit and pretend you're a mouse.....

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Realgar said:
I've seen one twice - nothing to be afraid of - they're just big puddy cats right? the worst they'll do is bat you around a bit and pretend you're a mouse.....
So you didn't here about the mountain lion attack in California, two women out mountainbiking, lion jumps one of them, the other woman proceeds to have a tug of war with the cat using her friend as the rope, lion has head she has feet. Her cries for help attract a bunch of guys who manage to drive the lion off. The authorities then find that the lion had already killed another person.
I'm not saying that they are bloodthirsty killing machines but they are very efficient predators worthy of a great deal of respect. And I'd love to see one in the wilds of Norfolk!

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
C_Claycomb said:
Forget steak...go out and make noises like a tortured bunny :rolmao:

LOL, as funny as that is, it really is true. I've never used a distress call for big cats, but have called in Coyote, Fox and Bobcat with a small glass bottle and cork.

Do have a digicam with you when you go out. Getting a photo of the cat or it's tracks and sign would be awesome.

How big do these cats get?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you feel a little reticent about sitting in the dark making dying rabbit squeals, you could always buy the cassette! You can get recordings for predator calling. It could be a way of getting a photo opportunity without such a chance of a face to face meeting.

I have read about one guy getting a very close, unplanned, look at a cougar when using a distress call in the US, so it will work.

RovingArcher, the cats here are all things that have been let loose, so they run the range from bobcat/lynx all the way to African lion (though I think the police got on that tabby fast :lol: ). The ones that people worry about are puma and leopard. There are a LOT of reports of black cats. Since these critters have been brought in as pets and so on it isn't too much of a stretch to believe someone could have let a melanistic leopard out.

The number of cougar attacks on people has gone up in recent years in the US and Canada, but there are a lot more cats around (greater chance of meeting one, and more competition for territories), and a lot more people using trails through relatively remote wild areas. Joggers and cyclists do seem to be favoured.

Someone on here wrote about thumping a tiger through the bottom of their hammock when it bumped into them at night, and I read a nice account of a guy in South America being stuck in his hammock for quite a time because a jaguar was enjoying watching him swing back and forth! :rolmao:

It would be cool if a member here were to get a really good picture of a cat...it would be something of a first :biggthump

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Snufkin said:
So you didn't here about the mountain lion attack in California, two women out mountainbiking, lion jumps one of them, the other woman proceeds to have a tug of war with the cat using her friend as the rope, lion has head she has feet. Her cries for help attract a bunch of guys who manage to drive the lion off. The authorities then find that the lion had already killed another person.
I'm not saying that they are bloodthirsty killing machines but they are very efficient predators worthy of a great deal of respect. And I'd love to see one in the wilds of Norfolk!

If there are many around it'll only be a matter of time before someone's killed over here and then we'll have the public screaming for their elimination.

Should we remove them? They're hardly native and they are downright dangerous but somehow it seems fair to leave them in place. I'm suprised given the bizzare things breeding in various corners of the country that there are no loose primates around Britain yet.

Any porcupines still around?

Realgar

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
There are some poeple who have been trying to catch/shoot them full time for many years, without success. And some of these poeple are good. :shock:

If they do kill someone, it's not going to be easy to track them down.

Cheers

Mark

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
by the way the surrounding land is mostly fields , most being privately owned, plus some huge estates, never open to public a big cat could easily survive, out of sight, hardly ever seeing a human.
you have your possible source there... it's far from unknown that the odd eccentric rich movie/pop/other star with an estate should own such animals that have subsequently escaped or been released.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Wasn't it in the 70's that they changed the law on keeping exotic pets?, If they are still around there must be a breeding population, or interbreeding, mountain lion/black panther hybrids. I am suprised that there hasn't been an attack on a person yet but it probably is only a matter of time.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I know one person who, unable to rehome them when the DWA came in, released a pair of puma up at snake pass.
As far as I know there have been a couple of attacks on people - none of them serious. The most recent - the kid swiped across the face - was apparently a hoax though.

The DWA really needs sorting out - anything that bans the keeping of three toed sloths as 'dangerous' but still allows the keeping of giant snakes is a bit messed up. Ok so no deaths in this country from keeping giant snakes yet but the US has had a few.

How's our wallaby population coming along these days? I haven't seen one for years.

Realgar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE