Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
Without any prior information on the axe itself, I can't help you. But on axe options, there are more options than Gransfors and Wetterlings. Condor Axes are high quality, and would definitely serve a bushcraft purpose. I would suggest the Greenland hatchet, the woodworker hatchet, and for something smaller, the Condor scout hatchet. A Husqvarna will also serve you well. A fiskars X14 is an amazing option for the money too. But sharpen your axe and try it out first.

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Just try splitting a few logs with it before you spend money on getting a guy to sharpen it for you.
If you own a decent file or a stone there is a simple tutorial on this forum on sharpening axes.
Some of us are a bit OCD about the edge of our blades but really are we ever going to need to
use an axe for skinning or filleting?
Give this axe a workout before you spend any more of your modest budget.
Cheers , Simon

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
My experience of cheap axes is that whilst they generally come blunt the steel, and hardening/tempering is generally up to the job. Your man is probably talking twaddle, the average joe at the garden tool shop know nothing about sharpening or steel.
Splitting and carving are quite different jobs, I tend to keep a bluntish axe for splitting at home especially if there is any chance of nails in my firewood. For cutting and carving you want a good edge.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Yeah just sharpen and modify it yourself its a perfectly serviceable beginners hatchet and more
BUT it sure aint no carving axe although you will be surprised what it can do and its yours to use and enjoy
You will learn loads in the process and then buy what you need. My guess is this will do most jobs you have in mind at the moment

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
An axe with a slightly softer metal is also easier to sharpen ;)

Unless its an absolute dog of an axe, I'd stick with it.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Have you read the steel spec on ebay? - says it is hardened to 48-58 HRC, not the most tightly controlled heat treat then. Actually it looks fine; as Robin said the Garden centre guy is unlikely to be an expert.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE