New Axe - Oiling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RachelUK

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2011
Hampshire
Hi,

I've just treated myself to a new (first) axe. I have a Wetterlings Small Hunting Axe, it was a good mix of size, reviews and price for me and my requirements. I remember reading somewhere about oiling an axe when you get it. I couldn't find the post again so apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

If anyone is able to offer advice on best oil to use and anything else I should know about making sure I look after it properly.

Many thanks in advance.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use boiled linsead oil
as BB would say
Bushcraft-Betty022.jpg

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Linseed oil on the handle (apply with heat) and gun oil on the metal.

Untill you get these oils, after every use of the axe, dry it, wipe it, and rub it down with a tiny drop of any oil, even cooking oil. Any oil is better than no oil, untill you get proper oil.

I have now resorted to using the (linseed, beeswax and turp) mix, on both wood and metal and love it.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Napier gun oil is very good, as is "Rangoon" oil if you can find it, again it's a gun oil, this one intended for protecting guns in storage. Both seem to form a hard wearing film on the surface of the steel.
I've also heard good things about ballistol (spl) but haven't tried it yet.

Dave

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
As below gun oil for the metal work and boiled linseed or tung oil for the wood.

With the woodwork make sure it is completely dry before applying the oil, if you have been using it etc..., as if its not you will trap moisture in and cause it to rot and dont be tempted to use too much.

The metal work generally only needs a light coating and if you have a leather sheath for it beeswax is my personal favourite for protection and to get a great finish.

Hamster

I tend to oil all of my sharps in a oner - so the axe head gets a wipe of walnut oil along with all of my blades (I do occasionally use the axe to butcher poultry and joint a rabbit). A very light coating of boiled linseed oil on the shaft does the job, as others have said. Make sure it's very light and well soaked in, as it dries sticky, and a sticky shaft is blister central!

Please! No references to Bushcraft Betty and a sticky shaft!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE