New axe for myself

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Fiddling away with personal side projects as I do, I finally got round to making this for myself.

I bought the axe head on the cheap several months ago on a whim as the price was too good to pass on.

After making the first haft and splitting it when fitting the wedge I had to put it aside again until I was back in the right place to have another go.

I learned a lot from the first attempt which was a chunky straight haft, and the notch for the wedge was cut too far down. So for this haft (ash) I shaped it much better with a knob at the bottom as a stopper, and made it a bit thinner, cut out the part for the eye, and only cut the notch down two thirds of the eye and shaped the wedge better thanks to beezers advice.

For the sheath I wanted something simple without any metalwork, and as with all my stuff it had to have some spirals.

Overall it was a good lesson, and lots of fun which is what it's all about. It will come with me on my next outing in a few weeks for a full test.

6afa399f586e5d6a5ba86e89cead7b1f.jpg
2de392ea605e3d3ff5ae13b6ec7e8089.jpg
be033ed401179b37ca0c4cec0022341b.jpg
d5e875403143414685595d90b09fa841.jpg
4a7b13b0ba73b2ff8dd93d9f002b50c1.jpg
f3686d74db1d9756acee63dc688964f7.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The whole design looks good as it would balance nicely in the hand.
The knob-stopper is a rare element.

Question: What total included bevel angle did you end up with and why?
I'm forever asking for opinions.

Dreadhead

The whole design looks good as it would balance nicely in the hand.
The knob-stopper is a rare element.

Question: What total included bevel angle did you end up with and why?
I'm forever asking for opinions.
Thanks fellas.

As to your question RV, it came fully sharp and I'm not too sure about axe bevels, it's fairly sloping, not too steep. Interested to see how it performs

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Very very smart, i want a new axe but i want to make a polished flint axe made from green flint from Langdale in the lake district

Dreadhead

I really like the shape of that head. Are they in production?
as far as i know it was a one off, but it's not unique, any axe maker could make one.

Very very smart, i want a new axe but i want to make a polished flint axe made from green flint from Langdale in the lake district

ooo that would be quality mate

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
ooo that would be quality mate

The seed got planted in the brain a while back with all the Mesolithic and Neolithic reading and watching and following of other folks studying this stuff, I was just reading only last night about all of the up to date local to me finds from the Neolithic and Mesolithic (up to 5000 years ago) and there are two within 5 mile of me where a polished green stone axe was found which originally came from Langdale in The Lake District (just like the ones Will and Skot have been making this last month) and the texts say they were a highly prized and sought after item by our Mesolithic ancestors around here especially, maybe even sacred to them, seems only right i should source a stone and see about making one :D

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
GGTBod: you ought to make a stone axe. It will be as highly prized tomorrow as they were 5,000 years ago.
I hope that you can chase down museum specimens to study and measure. As many as you can.

I got into the UBC/MOA to study their collection of very old Pacific Northwest native crooked knives.
Quite frankly, I would have carved the handles all wrong without seeing the authentic ones.

Make #1 out of really soft stone to gain a sense of size and shape and techniques. Finish it, haft it.
Then the real thing.
Some nephrite jade axe blades made on the BC coast but very rare finds.

Dreadhead's handle looks comfortable and so worth all the effort to carve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE