nettles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
Just picked some nettles and soem of the leaves have puple underneath. Why is this and are they safe to eat? I picked them with the stems to speed it up, would i need to take the stems off or can they be eaten to?

Any suggestions for a recipe?

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
They sound like they are getting on a bit SFL. It's better to go for the younger leaves on new grow shoots and tops.

I made nettle curry last year - just follow the recipe for spinach. In fact you van use nettles as a spinach substitute in any recipe.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
we done this last night, pick the youngest leaves from the top of the nettle, boil up some potato's and sausages and add some salt. boil for about 15 - 20 mins and then add the nettles. cook for 5 more minutes and it should be done
very tasty
leon

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
Well ive made it, just got to eat it now :D Not really one for foraging and this is probly my full meal from the outdoor. Lets hope i can eat it with out getting paranoid and feeling off :) It contains nettles, ham, sausage and egg :D

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
The thing which puzzled me for ages is that nettle soup that isn't blended tastes kinda watery and uninteresting.

I've since been informed that it was traditionally whisked with a whisk made of birch twigs or similar until finely shredded - I haven't had a chance to try this properly, but if the stems are stripped off and discarded, and the leaves well-boiled til soft, a standard balloon whisk will reduce the leaves to a pretty good texture (and improves the flavour no end).

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I can't see why not, I use young Ramson leaves, finely chopped with mayonnaise to make egg mayo sarnies! I also put hedge garlic/Jack by the hedge leaves into sarnies.

I like sarnies! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE