Nettles for fibres

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
So...

I've heard of using nettles for making fibres for cordage, seen Mr Mears using foreign plants to do the same, and fancy having a go at it...

Which type of nettles are suitable? Is it just stinging nettles, or will "dead nettles" be suitable. I'd expect to get longer lengths from stingers, but for practice (esp. children) would it be good to practice with the non-stinging type?

Graham.

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
Just the stinging ones I'll think you will find. I would use gloves when you do this. The last time I made some cordage I didn't use gloves and paid the price for about three days. Numb fingers and when they were wet it was like being stung all over again.

Let us know how you get on.

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Thanks, I suspected that would be the answer.

> "There isn't one shred of evidence that life should be taken seriously"

Ah! Someone matching my own philosophy :~)

Graham.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Povarian said:
So...

I've heard of using nettles for making fibres for cordage, seen Mr Mears using foreign plants to do the same, and fancy having a go at it...

Which type of nettles are suitable? Is it just stinging nettles, or will "dead nettles" be suitable. I'd expect to get longer lengths from stingers, but for practice (esp. children) would it be good to practice with the non-stinging type?

Graham.

Hello, and welcome to the site.
This is a recurring question, please see
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=3850&highlight=nettles
as just one example of a nettle fibre thread.
I teach fibre making to children, just make the nettles *safe* before the kids handle them and they'll be fine. If you can get the skin off one and turn it into a thickish green cord it makes an excellent friendship bracelet and even the boys gloat about wearing it :)
It's a friendly group, I've found, and questions are welcomed!

Cheers,
Toddy

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Thanks for the link to the other thread. Perhaps I'd better catch up on stuff thats already been posted/asked before asking too many questions.:eek:

Whatever... I'm looking forward to doing the nettle thing, but currently looks like it's gonna be end of June/Early July before I can play. From what I've now read on other threads, looks like that's a good time to harvest anyway.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
shanec said:
Here is a link to a thread i made pretty similar to this one...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=5926

Good luck, its pretty cool how simple it actually is to make it, One thing i cant do is add more fibres in and make it longer duno if there is ways todo this or if you just gota find a huge stinging nettle :p have fun!

This is quite straightforward though some would argue that this isn't a proper splice. Fold a new length about 1:2 and push the 'bend' into the cord your making trailing the two new ends in amongst the fibres you've been using. Next time you join on make sure you use the 1:2 lengths on the alternate set of fibres. No weak bits and no snaggly ends to be trimmed off afterwards either :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Povarian said:
Thanks for the link to the other thread. Perhaps I'd better catch up on stuff thats already been posted/asked before asking too many questions.:eek: QUOTE]

No one minds questions, you should have seen the ones I posted :eek: but everyone kindly replied anyway. I simply thought it would be quicker to post you a link to have a look.
Besides questions keep the subject fresh and there's always new input.

Cheers,
Toddy

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Toddy said:
This is quite straightforward though some would argue that this isn't a proper splice. Fold a new length about 1:2 and push the 'bend' into the cord your making trailing the two new ends in amongst the fibres you've been using. Next time you join on make sure you use the 1:2 lengths on the alternate set of fibres. No weak bits and no snaggly ends to be trimmed off afterwards either :)

Cheers,
Toddy
Not quite sure what you mean there Toddy. Are you saying take some new fibres, fold them about 1/3 of the way down and add them, bend first, to one side of the plat. Do the same of the other side but make sure they're at different places so there's no weak spot?

Thanks

Mark

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
In reply to the OP, I had the good fortune to bump into Val and John Lord at Creswell Crags this weekend, just as they had finished their demo for the day. Everyone had left, so Val kindly showed us how to prep the nettles and make cordage. We also had a fascinating look at some of the flint tools and I was allowed to keep a small blade!

They were just stinging nettles, she tightly gripped the stem in one hand and pulled quickly (base to top) to remove the leaves. We asked about the stings, but she was lucky as they didn't irritate her at all. Otherwise she said just wear gloves.

It seems that once the leaves are stripped however that the sting is gone from the stems too, as I am sensitive but didn't have any problems splitting and twisting them subsequently.... incidentally I learned that the inner fibres from the stem can be dried and used for tinder.

HTH.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yes, I came across nettle tinder being used in South Norway a few years ago.

They would take a handful of dry stalks and beat the ends to a fluffy bundle, then drop a smouldering lump of "knusk" (some kind of tinder fungus) into the bundle and blow until it ignited.

Seemed to work ok but their method for producing knusk seemed very labour intensive, charcloth might work as well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Buckshot said:
Not quite sure what you mean there Toddy. Are you saying take some new fibres, fold them about 1/3 of the way down and add them, bend first, to one side of the plat. Do the same of the other side but make sure they're at different places so there's no weak spot?

Thanks

Mark

Sorry, I haven't made that clear. Use the bent length to increase *both* sides of the lay at once. It's easier to do it this way than to try to add in more end pieces to each side. If you're making a three cord lay then you have to keep a watchful eye on which strand is getting too thin and add in the fullness to the two thinner or shorter strands. There are fewer little sticky out end pieces to be timmed off this way too, they just wind in amongst the new strands.
I am *so* going to get the hang of posting images from my digital camera....one picture.....

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE