Netting/Covering Vegetables

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was wondering what plants should be netted/covered over when they are being grown?

I have used netting over my strawberries in the past but it wasn't easy to put over the frame structure that I have (inherited from previous house owners) and I did have a bird get caught in it a couple years back. It is relatively large and required two widths of the netting to cover it. Its the cheap netting you get for about £1 - 2 and easily tangles. Can anyone recommend any good alternatives?

I have also seen the use of cloches and mini polytunnels but I don't fully understand their use yet. Is it just to extend their growing season? If so how does that relate to growing veg up this far north? Does that mean I can use them when it is frosty outside in March?

I'm starting to get things going now in the garden with proper beds, planning and digging. Looks like it is going to be an interesting year. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lets cover nets first. There are basically two things to net out, insects and birds. I net butterflies off my brassicas and birds off....lots. Pigeons will destroy germinating peas, blackbirds will eat all the strawberries.

I have built movable frames that fit our standard beds

32 - Second Frame by British Red, on Flickr

I use 15mm mesh to let insects in for pollination and keep birds out (for fruit)

Straw and nets on strawberry beds by British Red, on Flickr

I use narrow scaffolding net to keep butterflies off my cabbages and sprouts

W Insect Net complete by British Red, on Flickr

The nets open up to permit weeding and picking

X - one side opened for planting by British Red, on Flickr

2" net is enough to keep pigeons off peas but so wide that nothing gets tangled

36 - Bird Mesh by British Red, on Flickr

Smaller arrangements are fine for seasonal lettuce etc.

Lettuce Net by British Red, on Flickr

Larger ones for fruit beds

Netted gooseberry bed by British Red, on Flickr

Buy good quality woven nets if you can, they do last better.

Using plastic covered hoops warms the soil and air and lets you grow tender plants much sooner. The warmer soil means seeds germinates weeks sooner than it otherwise wood.

Last edited:
Thanks Hugh. :) Much appreciated. I like some of the ideas you have for frames and netting off the areas. Especially the smaller frames.

What did you make the hoops from? Just bendable plastic pipe?

What size netting did you use for the strawberry bed?

Thanks for the Allplas link, I will have a look at that and see if it works out cheaper for me. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The best sort is mdpe pipe. Bends without breaking or kinking.

15mm mesh for strawberries, let's pollinating insects in, keeps small birds out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE