Nessmuks Insect repeller ingredients

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I fancy trying out nessmuks insect repeller recipe, but i can't find Pine tar and pennyroyal oil,
castor oil i should find fairly easily. Has anyone been down this road and found supplies?

3oz Pine tar, 2oz Castor Oil 1oz Pennyroyal oil.

Have searched but noit finding much with google.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I'm in the process of reading this (amongst a bazillion other things :D) and have thought about making some of this up. It's interesting how it comes across as a kind of varnish for the skin. He stresses that it shouldn't be washed off in any way, merely reapplied and if any part of exposed skin should be sooted or dirtied in anyway then to clean off with a hankerchief then have the ointment reapplied to the affected part :D

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Sounds good, Hands Neck and face i'm thinking.
Would be nice to hear if anyone has had it working.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Your best bet for pine tar is a a good saddlers or equine centre - also known as stockholm tar. Be sure to get "pure" stockholm or pine tar though.

Pennyroyal oil is available from aromatherapy suppliers, but, please, go easy. It can be very dangerous - a report I read on it suggested that 3ml could kill a child if ingested. I think an ounce of neat essential oil sounds highly dubious to say the least. I suspect Nessmuk was referring to an infusion made of pennyroyal leaves in a carrier oil and not essential oil

Red

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Your best bet for pine tar is a a good saddlers or equine centre - also known as stockholm tar. Be sure to get "pure" stockholm or pine tar though.

Pennyroyal oil is available from aromatherapy suppliers, but, please, go easy. It can be very dangerous - a report I read on it suggested that 3ml could kill a child if ingested. I think an ounce of neat essential oil sounds highly dubious to say the least. I suspect Nessmuk was referring to an infusion made of pennyroyal leaves in a carrier oil and not essential oil

Red
As little as 5ml of Eucalyptus oil will kill a child. I'd say the warning is treat all "essential oil" with great care.
American pennyroyal , Hedeoma pulegioides L, also called fleabane or tickweed is different from English pennyroyal Mentha pulegium L
I have read reports, admittedly on the internet that oil up to 6% pure can be rubbed on the skin with no effects, and no uptake of the toxins. However, from the report said, I would not think that you would need to use anywhere near that amount.
six to ten drops of the oil in one fluid ounce of base oil, should be more than enough

Website worth perusing

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, well, if it kills children it will keep away insects?

(Im sick of hearing alternative therapy people tell me "its natural, therefore harmless" Im suprised more harm isnt done though this....I have never heard of anyone hurt though alternative therapy (aside from those who refused conventional medicine) but someones dog died under suspicious circumstances)

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Ok I'm going to try this Pine Tar:
http://www.horseactive.co.uk/shop2.php?category=Horse+Care+Products&subcat=Hoof+%26+Leg+Care

Equimins Stockholm Tar Ref: EQST (4th Down)

I would like to keep to a close to the recipe as possible, therefore would it be better to buy dried herbs(The Uk type) and make an oil from that rather than an aromatherapy oil? Sure Nessmuk would have gone to Boots to buy his ;)
What would be a suitable carrier oil? or will the castor oil be for that?

Interesting read:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Hedeoma+pulegioides

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE