Nessmuk with brass liners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Hi Folks - Here are a few pics of the demo Nesmuk made today.

• 3mm 01
  • 6mm brass hollow pins
  • 8mm brass lanyard
  • Brass liners (of course)
  • Also with red liners to separate the brass and steel.
  • Wood is stabilized spalted hornbeam which I've aged.

The wood block the blade is sat on is untreated hornbean...the aim was to achieve an aged but clean finish on the wood.

Blade not for sale, tis a demo for the website to showcase some of the knife making components.
Little stands are available if anyone is interested.....

Hope it proviodes a suitable example of usage of brass liners etc.

Cheers
Tom

4742877823_642882e755_b.jpg

4743514624_d089e46620_b.jpg

4743514800_2b3acbb745_b.jpg

4742878401_85c87329c0_b.jpg

4743515162_ff27f71d37_b.jpg

4742878767_892d0e9e0e_b.jpg

4743515554_3d05ab2e1f_b.jpg

4743515754_1953ed9a21_b.jpg

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi Leonidas, Love the blade. Great shape & workmanship. One day when I grow up I want to make one like that.

Minotaur, try JoJo. I got a delightful smaller Nessmuk for the missus about 2 years ago. Its her every day user in the kitchen and when we camp. She loves it.
Atb
G

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Looking good Tom! Is your maker's mark one of the ones discussed on UKBF? It looks nice and crisp, I'd like to know what you used for that if it isn't a trade secret!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Brass ... Love them with the red liners.
one little question is there be a problem with the brass expanding at a differnt rate to the rest of the blade?

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Looking good Tom! Is your maker's mark one of the ones discussed on UKBF? It looks nice and crisp, I'd like to know what you used for that if it isn't a trade secret!

Oddly enough I've just ordered a full set of hand stamps, to stamp the mammoth and initials in differing sizes.
Been etching for years with DC and salt water. Works a treat providing you get the transfer of laser printer ink onto the blade....however I usually end up retouching the image.
Another trick is to use negative polarity then positive as it removes the metal then deposits dark metal back...hence it stands out well.

Cheers
Tom

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Man that's a cracker! I don't like red liners, but with the brass that's lovely. How do you "age" the wood like that, is it a trade secret?

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Brass ... Love them with the red liners.
one little question is there be a problem with the brass expanding at a differnt rate to the rest of the blade?

Not really, you are of course correct there is an expansion rate difference, this also applies to the 01 steel, brass and wood generally, hence added a red fibre liner to take up the slack.
Essentially the fibre liner sits between the two most rigid materials, steel and brass, the brass sits between the wood and fibre liner which both have a little more flexibility and generally do not succumb to temperature changes if adhered / fixed appropriately.

If it was a legitimate concern, we would have stopped using brass pins and lanyard tubes years ago. Using the same argument, pins and tubes would have persistently worked loose in extremes of temperature. :)

Hope the above makes sense.
Tom

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Oddly enough I've just ordered a full set of hand stamps, to stamp the mammoth and initials in differing sizes.
Been etching for years with DC and salt water. Works a treat providing you get the transfer of laser printer ink onto the blade....however I usually end up retouching the image.
Another trick is to use negative polarity then positive as it removes the metal then deposits dark metal back...hence it stands out well.
Cheers
Tom

They look great, after seeing that I reckon hand stamps are the way forward. I use salt water and a big battery for a nice deep etch but it never looks as clean and crisp as yours. Scales are looking great as always, I'll be up for some of your coloured ones when you have some ready to sell. Please let me know when you do have some up for sale! I have to admit I'm not personally a fan of brass on knives but that does look real nice! Have you tried pewter or Nickel Silver yet? I've been tempted but haven't got around to ordering any from Brisa yet...

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
They look great, after seeing that I reckon hand stamps are the way forward. I use salt water and a big battery for a nice deep etch but it never looks as clean and crisp as yours. Scales are looking great as always, I'll be up for some of your coloured ones when you have some ready to sell. Please let me know when you do have some up for sale! I have to admit I'm not personally a fan of brass on knives but that does look real nice! Have you tried pewter or Nickel Silver yet? I've been tempted but haven't got around to ordering any from Brisa yet...

Appreciate the feedback, many thanks.

Re the pewter and nickel silver....Should have some .5mm sheets in stock next week... :)
Still building the catalogue....i.e. also testing out some linisher belts that cut and polish at the same time.....sword makers use them....if they pass the muster, I'll be stocking them in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Cheers
Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE