Need some ideas about tiki torch spikes

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I make firepots from terracotta flowerpots filled with scrap wax and a big pine cone. They burn very well, very brightly and last a long while.

However, they get hot, very hot, and the last time I used them they set the bamboo torch spikes alight :rolleyes:

I've looked on line, and the American sites have steel spikes with oil bottles or cans or lanterns fixed onto them, but they won't hold the pots I make securely on the spike.

Suggestions please ?

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks for the ideas :)

I think I need a cage or a frame on top of a metal spike.
I make up a batch of the candle pots at once, and as one burns out, I put another one on.

I use them mostly as the lights at the chute, one either side of the clear entrance way where there are no guylines.
There are times I'd like to use one under the chute simply for a good light that's no fuss or bother, no sparks or cinders
iimmc, but unless I can be sure the spike is really, really stable and not going to flare up itself, no way.

I bunged up the hole in the bottom of my plant pots with a shard of broken pot and some potting clay. It seems to work well, I hadn't thought about fire cement, but I got hold of some terracotta pots that didn't have any holes too.

I'll measure the pots in the morning but they're all under 10cms, or as close as, and no more than that high, but plant pot shaped so they taper up to the top.

cheers,
Toddy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'd go with steel rod bent into a cradle, and held together at the bottom with a jubilee clip.
The pots can sit in it and be exchanged easily.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Why not cut a tin can (say a small tin of peas) down to take the pot and tall enough so the pot doesn't fall off, put a hole in the bottom so a length of rod or threaded bar can be screwed on it and the other end of the bar pointed to go into the ground?
With your painting skills you could soon make them look nice :)
To make sure the pot base is stable and doesn't rock, fill inside of the can to a depth that covers the nut with filler or fibreglass (non-burny type stuff)
Remember you need a nut on both sides of the tin base to hold it secure :rolleyes:
The blacksmith in me cries out to Graham_S 's (#8 )and crosslandkelly's (#4) idea though but I would snake some bar around the bottom of the pot so the pot just sits in it, and end it as a spike into the ground. Even flatten the pot end and cut a snake head into it & then ............ give us a minute the inventing heads going into overdrive again :rofl: :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Talk to your muse WK :D see what evolves :cool:
I know I'm not the only one who's interested in this :) These tiki spike pots are really good and would be even better if we could make them secure.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE