Need some advice buying a wood stove.

May 8, 2016
North west
Hey guys, really need some help deciding on what stove to buy for my Helsport Varanger 4-6.

I'm not sure if I want to buy the Helsport stove, mainly because the supports look a little weak for what seems to be quite a sturdy build.

The second option I'd been looking at is the base version of the Frontier stove. I would have to invest in a Stove Cowl though which would add more to the cost.

I was wondering if anybody can throw some pros and cons out there and help me make the wisest choice!

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
we recently got a frontier for the tentipi. Been really happy with it. had to get the spark arrestor and 2 tipi sleeves as its the safer 9. the only problem we've had was the spark arrestor blowing off in 70+ mph winds, so now had a chain tied down to the pole.
I'm sure it is the same with all of these type of stoves, you have to use them a few times to be able to suss out how to get the best from them. but am impressed so far.

May 8, 2016
North west
Thanks, I'm just worrying that the Helsport literally looks like it's supported by two flimsy pieces of metal. Which has the larger surface area for cooking too?

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
The frontier stove has a much larger surface for cooking and it's also a lot cheaper. The main purpose of the Helsport stove is as a space heater with a limited capacity for cooking. It sits lower to the ground than the Frontier and since heat rises it more efficiently heats the space. This is probably important in a Scandinavian winter. In this counrty, the Frontier will provide you with more than enough heat and give you more cooking area plus a stove top opening for frying, boiling water. You can also fit a water boiler to the chimney. The Frontier with its tripod legs does however require a bigger footprint which may be an issue depending on how many people you want to get in the Varanger (yeah I know it's a 4-6 man but you really don't want 6 in there).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE