Need insurance for winter arctic snowshoeing trip, ideas?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Not sure the usual 'Winter Sport' cover will do it.
Any of yous cats have any insurance tips for a trip like this?

Cheers.:)

Chris.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Morning Chris,

Try dogtag.co.uk

They are well into covering extreme sport stuff.

I've had annual cover with them including snowsports for a good many years :)

Stu

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Nice one, looks like I would have to join ( £15 ) then the winter cover for 14 days looks like being £73.
Not sure if this is on the high side?

Cheers cats.

C.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Towergate Wilson are good for this sort of trip, I've also used the BMC and dogtag before and the same coverage from each. Are you taking a satphone? I take an old dual satphone/GSM to guarantee a signal.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Nice one, looks like I would have to join ( £15 ) then the winter cover for 14 days looks like being £73.
Not sure if this is on the high side?

Cheers cats.

C.

I'd say that is quite pricy, I'm insured for winter sports, but thats resort type stuff, and business trips up to a max of 60 days any one trip anywhere in the world for £120.

I guess it's down to where your going and what would be involved if you tripped on a snow shoe broke an ankle and required a rescue. In scotland as the rest of the UK there's no charge to the casualty for lifting from the hill or the sea, under normal circumstances. Other countries have different policies, so if that would be a back chargeable deal, £2k+ for a helicopter, medical treatment cost??? etc, then the £88 may well be worth the peace of mind.

I've just gotten a quote for the "trek" policy multi trip annual policy, max 45 days any one trip, up to a max of 5000m, excluding snowboarding, £153 the year (that includes the cost of joining the BMC). Not bad as that would cover you where ever you are in the european economic zone, so scandinavia (and possibly greenland???) iceland, down your local woods etc.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Chris have you looked at snowcard? google them. they insure for trekking and climbing and snowshoeing is one of the options under that.

i phoned dogtags and they want a full written description of activities and risks to show their underwriters so they can whistle this time.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Got Snowcard on my list mate, ( from when I could not sleep for thinking about it, 3 in the morning job! )
I mean, we are just Snowshoeing and camping out, not run of the mill granted, but there are far riskier activities being insured!!

C.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Really!?!? I am failing to find many bad reviews of them.... lots of independent recommendations for them.

I am about to renew my cover so have a vested interest in the bad reviews you have found buddy..... point me in the right direction as google is failing me :(

Hmm, been checking Dogtags reviews, not good!
Shame, as I like the dogtag idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE