Need help to find a pair of trekking poles.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Urdasein

Nov 26, 2020
France
www.instagram.com
Hi.

I'm into bushcraft and photography (>>> Instagram) and my packs weight increases (I'm a dumbass that can't do pictures without full frame reflex =)... We're talking about a 20-30Kg...

I'm looking for a pair of trekking poles that could relieve some weight from my knees but they are all "ugly" (you know, the usual outdoor esthetic with flashy design and a lot of plastic parts...).

So do you have a model in mind that follow these specifications:
- neutral colors without oversized brands logo
- cork handle without pastic top
- telescopic aluminium tubes with a locking mechanism made of aluminium too (not plastic)
- a dissuasive tip would be great (a stick is a good "weapon" for intimidating herding dogs and malevolant people)

I found this:

The color is okay-ish (I'd replace the straps with homemade leather ones) but I'm not a big fan of the locking mecanism. Besides, I don't trust carbon fiber.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Carbon fiber is OK for everything else than "rugged", as material it is stronger and stiffer than Al but when it breaks that is kind of total. Besides locking mechanisms tend to work better on Al.

If you want a weaponnish (?) pole look for a Basque makila.

Cork handle is very good for cold conditions, strap material does not matter much, for pole material my recommendation would be high grade Al.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I'lI fear to hurt myself on the shards
Actually quite unlikely when walking but not impossible. Quite a few carbon fiber poles broken here in Finland while skiing, wounding quite rare. They could be made safer and more impact resistant but then most of the weight advantage would be gone. (Used to work for a carbon fiber pole manufacturer.)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Sure, but the aesthetics of that reversed handle aside, they really work very well to maintain a good gait and take the weight off both your knees and your wrists, and they stop you carrying your head forward, which (I find, at least) pulls your shoulder muscles when using conventional straight poles. And you get good baskets for the snow.

I wouldn't worry about carbon fibre breaking. Carbon poles are used for skiing. Mine are carbon, very useful for hauling yourself out of tricky spots you might have got yourself into. Never heard of them breaking except for failures in the locks, but that's the same on alu too. They are light and pack down better than alu. (Sorry this is sounding like an advert)

Last edited:

Urdasein

Nov 26, 2020
France
www.instagram.com
Sure, but the aesthetics of that reversed handle aside, they really work very well to maintain a good gait and take the weight off both your knees and your wrists [...]

Yes, maybe, but the materials and the aesthetics are not what I'm looking for.

Oh ! And i forgot to mention that I prefer stuff that's made in Europe (or USA), with spare parts easily available, and I try to avoid things made in Asia with a consumable design.

EdS

Mountain King - British made

Reactions: Nice65

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Mountain king are good. I got one to replace a seized black diamond, walking with odd sticks. They're Al with carbon fibre outer. Didn't understand the benefits of that bit they were light, lighter than the top of the range when I bought them black diamond poles.

Mountainking sells replacement parts. I think you could replace everything on it if you're that hard on sticks.

The best thing of my stick from them was they put the long grip on them as standard unlike other, top brands who only did that on top of range at the time. Being a hill walker over here in the lakes there's times when you're going up steep ground and need a shorter pole for a section. The lower grip really helped for a quick grip change to help me up at times. They're light too but not as light as the modern UL ones which will probably not suit you anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE