Need help for expedition food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hey Guys,

Im new here and i was wondering if some of you could help me find out about food supplies for expeditions.
i'm going to sweden for 3 weeks with 9 men, and i was trying to find out what is easy to take with us and sort out which food is still nutritious.
although i'm aiming for natural food, not expedition packs, or powder packs.

so can some of you give me tips and tricks?

Kind regards, and thanks!
Aletta

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well it's am older book but Kephart gives some pretty extensive lists of expedition foods and certainly meets your criteria for non freeze dried stuff. Page 52 onwards of 'Camping and Woodcraft' deals with this subject. You can read it online HERE.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...i'm going to sweden for 3 weeks with 9 men, and i was trying to find out what is easy to take with us and sort out which food is still nutritious.
although i'm aiming for natural food..."

What time of year is your trip?

Paul Kirtley wrote about a winter camping trip up north here.

He mentions his rations in the article...

"...We took porridge, crackers, rye bread, salami, cheese, biscuits, jerky, chocolate, boiled sweets, butter, jam, and a range of dehydrated evening meals (including a custard and fruit pudding about which some of us remain ambivalent), tea, coffee and sugar...We found the most essential ingredient we took was Tabasco sauce. It improves almost any meal. But not, alas, the hot muesli breakfast..."

He also recommends dehydrated meals as they are "...very light in weight for the calories they provide and very welcome when you are tired and short of time..."

Porridge, crackers, rye bread, salami, cheese, biscuits, jerky, chocolate, boiled sweets, butter, jam are pretty much what I pack for an afternoon bimble never mind a longer walk.

If I am on a longer trip and cannot resupply along the way I usually ask the locals what they use and buy some of that, in these parts that means black bread, heavily spiced dry sausage, onions, rice etc. :)

Last edited:

safari435

Jun 27, 2013
mexico
Did a canoe tour for 4 weeks ( 1 person)with the idea of "living of the land". I have taken 10 pounds of rice, 2 oz chili powder, 8 oz soup bullion, 8 oz salt, 1 lb peanut butter, 1 lb coffee.
It worked o.k. Biggest problem I have that when I eat a lot of fish ( as I did, I always grave sweet things...). I believe that rice is the perfect staple as you can put it in almost everything or eat it by itself, if you don't forage/ hunt /fish anything. I also find that some spices really make food better or mask the taste.... Most important, keep the food in a rodent and insect proof container...

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hey Guys,

Im new here and i was wondering if some of you could help me find out about food supplies for expeditions.
i'm going to sweden for 3 weeks with 9 men, and i was trying to find out what is easy to take with us and sort out which food is still nutritious.
although i'm aiming for natural food, not expedition packs, or powder packs.

so can some of you give me tips and tricks?

Kind regards, and thanks!
Aletta

It might be worth sending a PM to Ducky, a Dutch member on here.

He found some excellent freeze dried veg and fruit supplied from a company in the Netherlands, which can be added to anything. Good value, nutritious and very tasty with none of the bulk and weight of fresh veg.

For normal cooking on trip, I'd take all the dried veg,, herbs, nuts and staples etc and get the meat in Sweden.

For the record, I have had no problems taking any food into most of Scandinavia including dried meats.

bearbait

You could try making up some Logan Bread of your own for the group. It's a high energy expedition food, more like a flapjack than a loaf. There are a few refs. to it here on BCUK if you do a search. This thread has a link to the recipe (there are many if you Google) and the same thread also has a brief summary of my experiences with it.

Have a great trip!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE