need business coursework ideas!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alistair fraser

Nov 15, 2004
Cumbria
I am studying AS business and have started some new course work. The idea is to think up a new product and market it. Can anyone see a gap in the buscraft scene for a new product. thanks.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Interesting idea... There are several people here who, having identified a need in the bushcraft scene, are supplying that product. I'm not sure that any of them would be too enthusiastic towards giving away what could be a potential competitive advantage.

Also - if the point of your coursework is for you to think up a new product and market it, then shouldn't you be doing just that? By all means try and do market research, but there's a massive difference between that and "can you do my homework for me"... :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
What about an imaginay new pair of boots with different swap in and swap out liners so they can be used anywhere from the Jungles of SE Asia to the frozen north of the Yukon? ? ?

Don't think it's possible in reality but as a made up project it might be ok for you....also as it's not really viable it means you're not stepping on the toes of any of the sellers on here....

just an idea mate :wink:

We did a similar thing at school but for a new type of drink. We came up with "Fizzy Milk"......"best served....Friesian cold"!!!! lol

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Have a trawl through the site and see where people are doing hand-stands trying to get hold of gear, often having to order from overseas. Thinking of things such as woolens from NZ and Canada, axes from Sweden, knives from Finland, the USA, and Sweden, cooking gear from East Asia, shelters from Australia.

I don't think you need something totally new, just find a way to supply a better version, cheaper, and more conveniently than they are now. That is if the work is meant to be about "Business" and not about designing some item.

How about 300 acres of land for people to play on? :wink: :eek:):

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
alistair fraser said:
I am studying AS business and have started some new course work. The idea is to think up a new product and market it. Can anyone see a gap in the buscraft scene for a new product. thanks.

Hi Alistair.

Good question and you are in the right place to ask. The members on here can more or likely think of at least one idea of what's needed as nine times out of ten they have said to themselves ' I know exactly what is needed to that job' or ' if they added this or that to this bit of kit it would be a lot better' ............problem is when the moment has passed, people forget!

Bushcraft tools and equipment can be from one item (a knife) to a thousand items (ask Stuart) so you never know if it will be mass market or niche but there is only one way to find out and that is to get on with it and see what happens. It may be wise to do some product R&D as well.

Wish you well.

Jack.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
jakunen said:
Solar powered chiller? A plate or something you could stick in a bag that would keep food fresh when you're nowhere near a car lighter socket...

That's a good idea.... I've been mulling over the idea of a similar devisive but to run as a mini water wheel in a fast flowing stream....something that has inflatable bottom to keep pack size down but bouyancy up and can run various electric items, recharge videocameras, mobiles, sat-nav or even sat-phones etc....

I think I could design the actual unit quite well but I'm not good with electrics so I'd need somebody to help me out there..... wanna help me make my first Million Jak? ? ? :eek:):

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
bambodoggy said:
That's a good idea.... I've been mulling over the idea of a similar devisive but to run as a mini water wheel in a fast flowing stream....something that has inflatable bottom to keep pack size down but bouyancy up and can run various electric items, recharge videocameras, mobiles, sat-nav or even sat-phones etc....

I think I could design the actual unit quite well but I'm not good with electrics so I'd need somebody to help me out there..... wanna help me make my first Million Jak? ? ? :eek:):

I am sure I saw something like this advertised quite a few years ago but it was just to run a small light in your tent.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
MagiKelly said:
I am sure I saw something like this advertised quite a few years ago but it was just to run a small light in your tent.

Lol...typical, I think I've had a good idea and then find somebody has already thought of it! Oh the joys of living in the 21st Century! :eek:):
Still....with advances in electronics maybe it's still a good idea, could run a bit more power out too....maybe even run those camp/backpack electric fence I mentioned elsewhere!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
A better idea would be something run on methan - I am serious the amount of wind I pass when camping I could light up a city!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Gary said:
A better idea would be something run on methan - I am serious the amount of wind I pass when camping I could light up a city!

Didn't Tom and Barbara run their household electric from the methan from their pigs waste in the good life? tee hee hee.... lovely aroma from the basement! :rolmao:

alistair fraser

Nov 15, 2004
Cumbria
thanks for all your help! i did think up one thing by my self, a gps device that shows your position on a OS map on screen. However some of your ideas, water wheel etc are much better. cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE