need an anvil!!!!!

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Don't want to put a damper on it but there's loads on EvilBay up your way. I know as I was looking for ages until I bought one locally last Saturday.
I don't know why but they are fetching silly money...up to £200 each.
I agree with Southey get hold of a lump of rail. I did and ground down an old draw bar pin off a tractor to make the beak. I migged it on the left hand side. Worked ok, but I used a lot more energy to flatten steel. Or you can use an old 4 stone weight or sledge hammer head
Have a look at [B]http://www.iforgeiron.com/[/B] for ideas
or http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/a...d anvil : anvilfire.com blacksmithing article
or http://factoidz.com/low-cost-blacksmithing-how-to-make-your-own-anvil/

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
by far the cheapest and easiest option would be to get a large sledge hammer head and set into a stand of some kind. - I think many people use a bucket of concrete but a decent log with a hollow for half the head would be better (face up)

- I know of a few good blade smiths who started out this way.

another option is to use a section of RR track - this makes a damn good little anvil! - I have a 10" section up at uni with me for my portable forge. - I use mine length ways as opposed to end on like many people suggest to do - but I can do almost anything I want to on it. - I know an old smith who used to swear by it.

viable options are also to use a fork lift truk tine or a section of I beam, these work but aren't fantastic.

do you have a scrap yard near you? - they should have something you could use!

What do you plan on forging? - if it is just knives then a sledge hammer head will do fine!

all the best

Andy

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Sledge hammer heads, railway iron or the biggest lump of mild steel you can find at the scrap yard or steel supply place.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thanks lads think i will use a hammer head for now until i can get some rail way from some place.....

im going to have a go at makeing some blades from scratch rather then ground flat stock for a change..............

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
do I smell a WIP thread?

A hammer head will work well. - just make sure you keep splashing it with water as the small surface area heats up pretty quickly and can get too hot to touch in no time at all.

all the best

Andy

haw_thrn

Dec 29, 2008
ontario canada
www.jeffhelmes.com
hi, the cheapest and best option i've come across yet is to go to a heavy equiptment yard and pick up the damaged bucket pins or if your lucky the old rock buster (like a giant jack hammer)bits. These parts are usualy at least a foot long and four or more inches wide and if damaged in the scrap bin. If you have a welder get a chunk of tube that the bit will fit into and weld a plade on the bottom. Then fill the tube with sand and insert the bit so it is at a good forging height. You wont believe the rebound and you get a 200- 300 pound anvil or so with a small footprint.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
2010-10-20151805.jpg

Burned out of railway line and then dressed with an angle grinder if I remember right, and as you can see the base is an offcut of railway sleeper

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE