Need advise on resin glue please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

willpower

Oct 4, 2010
Dorset
Hi all,

Am making up some resin glue as bit of an experiment and also because I want to set a flint arrow head into an atlatl dart (will bind as well).

Problem is it doesn't seem to stick that hard and stays quite sticky even once its cooled.

My approximate ratio is pretty much a 50/50 pine resin/ charcoal powder mix with a tad bit of beeswax thrown in.

Anyone suggest what I need to do to harden up mix- add more charcoal powder maybe?

Thanks in advance for any advise :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
When I used it I only used a small amount of charcoal... maybe 10% or less and didn't bother with the beeswax (because I didn't have any) and it set hard

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
to make the mix harder add less charcoal and a bit more resin, also try heating it up a little more to help exspell any moisture and caramelise the mix, when it cools it should be solid...

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi willpower, at first I had sticky batches and brittle batches but after a few goes it came together and now I just rack of eye it, but if it helps here's my method :- resin from wounded tree
01.jpg

dried animal droppings if it eats grass they'll do, here sheep and rabbit which for some reason go on top of boulders so on a sunny day it's dried for you
or put it in a tin by the fire
02.jpg

here a close up
03.jpg

I use a pedstal and mortar then rubbed through a sive
04.jpg

pedstal and mortar and sive some charcoal
05.jpg

I melt the resin in a stainless (charity shop) tea pot with it's built in strainer and then pour it into a stainless steel pouring jug
06.jpg

with this on a pilot light I add roughly equal ammounts of charcoal and droppings untill the mixture is "jet black" I then stir in a small amount of beeswax I usually make a few batches at one go so pour it into silicone moulds which when cooled it doesn't stick to
09.jpg

I can re-melt these over a pilot light in the pouring jug to either dip a stick in then into cold water then back into the resin mix untill it's built up to the size I want, or I pour it into a bucket of water and mould it into a long roll (but you have to be carefull as it's hot and sticks !)
08.jpg

sorry I can't be more precise but once you've done some it'll all come together
07.jpg

I find mine less brittle with the droppings think of them as the chopped glass mat in glass-fiber
The silicon moulds are great for casting just pine resin or sulphur,
11.jpg

theres a star here in sulphur as well as resin, though I do cast blocks of sulphur in the red mold as well
10.jpg

cheers Danny

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A great tutorial!
I have not tried the droppings yet - just char and wax in the resin - and have had good results.... if I get the mix right! :)

willpower

Oct 4, 2010
Dorset
Thanks for the replies guys and that excellent tutorial from Danny. I wonder if I could use human hair to give it that fibrous strength?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE