Neck Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
A few days ago i had the hankering to build a new knife, so i ordered myself a Lauri 85 blade from Moonraker Accessories down in Wiltshire.

DSCN26342.jpg

yesterday morning and into the early afternoon, saw me cutting birch bark (collected from my woods) and leather squares and then punching a hole in each one so it slid over the tang, i also spent a bit of time with some needle files getting a good fit on the brass bolster, once everything had been cut out and i had the required number of leather & birch layers, it was out with the epoxy resin and everything was layered up

DSCN26452.jpg

Once it was all on and in position, i clamped it all up and left it overnight to ensure the epoxy had set, this morning, all was sound, so i spent a good amount of time cutting, shaping and sanding the handle to get from the squared section to a more refined and comfortable handle shape.

The result is this....

DSCN2693.jpg

DSCN2690.jpg

Brass washer pommel showing the peened end of the stick tang

DSCN2661.jpg

close up of the stacked birch bark and leather handle, each layer of leather is approx 1mm thick

DSCN2686.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the way it's turned out, considering it's only the third knife ive ever built.

Ii would have liked to have built the entire handle from birch bark, but alas, i didnt have enough that was of a good enough standard, there are a few mistakes in the knife, but that's all part of the learning process and next time i will know and can avoid making the same mistakes again, all i need to do now is make myself a nice new sheath for it, I'm thinking of a Scandinavian style neck sheath, as it just seems appropriate.

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
Nicely done, the handle looks great. Is that just veg tanned leather as is or has it been dyed first?I've made a few stick tangs up now and that thread on stacked leather handles recently has got me fancying one too.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers guys.

@ Simon, just bog standard veg tan, the colour really came out when i oiled it with some neatfoot oil

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
the next one would look great with a buffalo horn bolster.... :D

I was going to use some of the Rams horn, but figured id use this one to try a few things out and then use the Rams horn on the next one

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers peeps, appreciate the kind words, tis only my third ever attempt at a knife build

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
That's a lovely looking knife you have made from that blade Mark and I bet it will be a joy to use in terms of its ergo's and comfort.
Are you going to make clothes for it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE