Necessities for an outing

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
First I use the word outing because not all the early writers used the expression "woodcraft" or "campcraft" and, for that matter, none of the American writers (I read and write American) used the expression "bushcraft." But mostly it was considered a recreational activitiy, which is fine by me. But to my point.

Those same early writers generally got into discussions of what was necessary or at least made lists of required gear for overnight or longer trips, whether afoot or afloat. The interesting things are what is there that no one brings anymore and what is missing, for whatever reason.

For one thing, none of those old-timers would have been caught without their neckerchief, silk if possible. When was the last time you saw anyone wearing a neckerchief? I'm not even sure Boy Scouts wear them.

No mention of firesteels or rods, whatever you call them, can be found. I'm not even sure if there is ever any mention of making a fire by other than the tried and tried method of using a match. Of course, everyone smoked and carried a pipe at least, so you were carrying matches anyway.

Then there is the wool underwear, worn all year long, although I still don't understand some of the descriptions.

I could go on but someone here has interupted me. I'll be back later.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
BlueTrain said:
.......When was the last time you saw anyone wearing a neckerchief? I'm not even sure Boy Scouts wear them.

....Then there is the wool underwear, worn all year long, although I still don't understand some of the descriptions......

Trust me, Scouts still wear "neckers". I am forever moaning at them to wear full uniform when we meet.

Not so sure about woollen undergarments...I'd be stripped of my warrent if I asked :eek:

As for essentials, I can survive without most things, as long as I have my red (that was its original colour/color) coffee pot. And to cut across threads (postings that is) I always offer when I'm brewing :D

Have you read Camping and Woodcraft by Horace Kephart? Possibly the most inspiring Book I have seen on the subject. A silk neckerchief would most certainly be in Kepharts Duffle, as would a real Coffee Pot.

The outdoor cooking section is particularly useful. :)

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Blue Train, many here do indeed wear a hankerchief or scarf, do-rag by whatever name and wear "woolies" in season only but wear wool socks all the year round. I, among others still "dress" and carry kit as in the "old days" more comfortable and convinient. I carry 2 styles of pack/kits, a "day only" and the weekend+ pack that only differs from 2-3 week pack by the amount of food and adjusted to the season in question. When in a canoe I carry a lot more, I like my comfort, I do not need to prove myself each and every time I go out and endure rather than enjoy my journey, to each his own but don't borrow mine.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Maybe not equipment that is missing, more likely updated and modernised.
The neckerchief has been replaced by any type of hat/scarf combination
Woolen undercrackers kept you warm by vitrue of making you itch - modern materials keep you warm by keeping you comfortable.
And we're much more aware of the dangers associated with smoking now. It's probably only us Bushtypes who crave the knowledge of friction fire lighting that don't/won't take matches into the wilds.
I'm sure that on average, modern folk take a darn site more on their forays into the unknown.

ATB

Ogri the trog

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Ogri the trog said:
...It's probably only us Bushtypes who crave the knowledge of friction fire lighting that don't/won't take matches into the wilds.

I'm afraid I still carry my Swans, as I have yet to learn the knack of lighting my stovie (yes, there is more than one reason for my name) with a firesteel without showering my eyebrows with sparks :aargh4:

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Well, I have read Kephart and several others from the same period, in the original language, no less.

I also recall some fuss being made about hats, too.

I don't understand what people say about itchy wool underwear. It really doesn't get all that cold down here in Virginia. The snow is downright warm at times. But the only pure wool underwear I have is positively silky, from some outfit up in Canada. I only use the tops, though. As far as wool goes, generally, the biggest advance in living memory, in my opinion, is the introduction of washable wool. Even Pendleton makes it.

Speaking of Kephart again, his chapters on cooking is mighty interesting. Some writers, including him, seem to use an extravagant amount of cookware compared with what I hope most of you all use, which is the small messtin. If you throw in the large one, then you should be able to cope with a small crowd, shouldn't you? What I used depended on what I planned to eat but it never was more than a single cookpot of some sort, plus a plastic mug and plastic bowl. I tried to avoid the crowds.

Then there are ski poles. I must admit they work better than a cane, just because of how you arm works, or at least the way mine does, only I manage with a single bamboo pole, cut in the woods myself (yes, bamboo grows here) for free. I don't remember any mention of a walking stick by any early writer except perhaps for B.P., who, by the way, liked neckerchiefs.

I can't imagine any of the early writers wearing shorts, except, again, for B.P., and Kephart even spoke of foot breeches. But styles change. You might be surprised at what I wear sometimes. But it is warmer here.

It is certainly hard to be different, traditional and progressive, all at the same time but I try.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
One of the reasons for a more extensive cooking set is to accomodate those venison roast, turkeys, greens, vegetables and other such meals that need to be shared or kept. In the old days they traveled afar and couldn't conviniently access more kit so they carried what they needed with them from the get go. Or they shared with a partner each his own size of pot and style of kit that complimented the other.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
bushbasher said:
Have you read Camping and Woodcraft by Horace Kephart? Possibly the most inspiring Book I have seen on the subject. A silk neckerchief would most certainly be in Kepharts Duffle, as would a real Coffee Pot.

The outdoor cooking section is particularly useful. :)
just recieved it today after reading the word " inspiring" in you post. So it better be good! :D ;)
Seriously though, you didn't mention that the words were very small and the book is thick enough to knock out a bear with! Just reading through a few varied lines throughout the book and i feel like i'm sitting next to a 70 year old trapper who still walks 20 miles a day.

It does look good though :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE