Naturally renegerated woodland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
As some of you know (because I seldom stop banging on about it) I've planted a few trees on our 10 acres. Seeing as the grass hasn't been cut in 18 months, the naturally seeded trees are coming up in abundance:

null_9.jpg

Loads of birch, oak and willow here (and one dog!) - nice to see that the artificial grassland is returning to the forest from whence it came :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice, very nice :D and they'll come up vigorously given half a chance too :)

Would you like some of the wood millet seeds when they ripen ? That grows under trees in often quite dense woodland.

atb,
M

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Just out of inerest, what happens if the naturally seeded birch outstrip the growth of the oaks planted by you, or the naturally seeded oak roots strangle the base of the blackthorn hedge?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just out of inerest, what happens if the naturally seeded birch outstrip the growth of the oaks planted by you, or the naturally seeded oak roots strangle the base of the blackthorn hedge?

Then I end up with a different mix of woodland than planned?

There don't seem to be many oak seedlings up where the blackthorn is but there is a lot of willow which could be an issue. Survival of the fittest, I suppose

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In time the long lived oak will slowly outgrow them all.
Birch is a 'pioneer' species, it sheds literally millions of seeds. Tiny wee things that gather in nooks and crannies like sawdust.
But birch is prone to so many diseases that shorten it's already short life. We have oaks not far away that are over 600 years old. If birch is still healthy at 60 then it's doing superbly well.

Willow lives long, but only thrives if there's water.

Every site is different, we can plan, plant and presume we know best all we like, but the reality is that sixty years from now most of us will be away, and those oaks Spandit's planted will be just really getting into their stride :) and who knows what will have thrived among the shorter lived ones ?

M

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Another reason I didn't deliberately plant birch. Don't really want birch & willow to take over but if the other species are struggling then at least I'll have a quick amount of cover.

Will be interesting to see how some of the alder adapt now that I've changed the drainage by lining the spring pond. It's already much drier downslope although in this country it doesn't seem like we'll be short of rain any time soon

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In the long term, you're looking at what's called "ecological succession."
Unless it's a tree-farm, one mix of forest will replace the previous one, each is
a "sere," or "seral stage." Eventually, you will have a "climax" forest which is self-sustaining.

It's hard to short-circuit and jump ahead since the mycorhizae population sets the stage for each sere.

I live in the ICH (Interior Cedar-Hemlock) biogeoclimatic zone. No matter what happens from open ground,
ICH will be the canopy which is self-sustaining for more than 4,000 years that can be locally documented.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Of all the trees that grow so fair,
Old Engerland to adorn,
Greater are none beneath the Sun,
Than Oak and Ash and Thorn.
Sing Oak and Ash and Thorn, good Sirs
(All of a Midsummer's morn)!
Surely we sing of no little thing,
In Oak and Ash and Thorn!

Oak of the Clay lived many a day,
Or ever Aeneas began;
Ash of the Loam was a lady at home,
When Brut was an outlaw man;
Thorn of the Down saw New Troy Town
(From which was London born);
Witness hereby the ancientry
Of Oak and Ash and Thorn!

Yew that is old in churchyard mould,
He breedeth a mighty bow;
Alder for shoes do wise men choose,
And beech for cups also.
But when ye have killed, and your bowl is spilled,
Your shoes are clean outworn,
Back ye must speed for all that ye need,
To Oak and Ash and Thorn!

Ellum she hateth mankind, and waiteth
Till every gust be laid,
To drop a limb on the head of him
That anyway trusts her shade:
But whether a lad be sober or sad,
Or mellow with ale from the horn,
He'll take no wrong when he lieth along
'Neath Oak and Ash and Thorn!

Oh, do not tell the Priest our plight,
Or he would call it a sin;
But—we have been out in the woods all night,
A-conjuring Summer in!
And we bring you news by word of mouth—
Good news for cattle and corn—
Now is the Sun come up from the South,
With Oak and Ash and Thorn!

Sing Oak and Ash and Thorn, good Sirs
(All of a Midsummer's morn)!
England shall bide till Judgement Tide,
By Oak and Ash and Thorn!

Kipling…..Puck of Pook's Hill :)

and the Great Wood of Caledon, of which we still have remnants that are slowly re-expanding, the Atlantic oakwoods of Merionnydd and woods like those of the Faughan valley.

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sound fantastic. I've done some reaserch into.regeneration and 'an still.amazed at what.comes up when one removes TGB's from the equation. I'm glad that you'll not remove certain species from the mix. It'll gain an equilibrium over time. A forest is a mutable thing. Takes a long time for woodland to gain what we see as stability. Even then on tye timesale of humans it's nowt. It'll change. In the UK in the south it'll probably become mixed oak. Due to the species it hosts. So much diversity for a couple of rotations a year with epicormic growth. Your soil will find equilibrium over time but even that will change as the soil does.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That Kipling verse is really nice, I haven't even thought of it for many years and am glad to be reminded of it. Thank you Mary :)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
TGB?

I just hope all my hard work doesn't become a mass of willow & sycamore, although there's only one of the latter there at the moment

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
TGB?

I just hope all my hard work doesn't become a mass of willow & sycamore, although there's only one of the latter there at the moment

TGB's = Tree Gobbling err! Blighters. :D , foresters shorthand for sheep, rabbits, deer and the likes.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Ah. Haven't removed any from my land - have had some rabbit damage on unprotected willow & currently on day 2 of my DSC1... ;)

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Planting trees to create woodland is a great way to kickstart it. Willow and birch are pioneer species whose seeds are blown in by wind. Oak will outcompete them all but it tends to be propogated by jays picking up acorns and burying them outside the woodland, or on its grassy margins, so the oak forest expands slowly over time. Considered over very long periods of time, woodlands are like living creatures moving accross the landscape, changing, expanding and contracting as the climate, nutient levels and overall ecology change. Human intervention distrupts all of that, of course. If you look in old woodlands at the moment here in the UK, you might find patches of the lovely wood anemone: these take 100 years to advance a foot. So a large patch of them indicates just how old the woodland is - even if its been denuded of timber at various times - by WWI, WWII, building the navy, fuelling the industrial revolution etc.

Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Planning on digging up some bluebells & transplanting them (from elsewhere on my land). Will be planting wood anemone too & hoping the wild garlic will flourish as it's been a bit sluggish so far.

With the bare soil exposed recently where we dug a pond/drainage ditch, I've sprinkled some wild flower seeds so hopefully they'll establish before the thistles, sorrel, dock & dandelions take over. Have already buried some sections of comfrey root to provide a living mulch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE