Natural tinder box.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have decided to start putting together a small fire kit, it's currently a small brass tin with some char cloth, a steel striker, and a lump of flint. I would like to add to this some tinder so that I don't have to worry about finding some when out and about.

I know many people are very much in favour of the cotton soaked in Vaseline and the like, but I would like for this fire kit, to make one that is entirely from natural materials that you find in the UK. With this in mind? Other than the various fungi (horse hoof fungus, King Alfred's etc...), can anyone suggest good items of tinder to be on the look out for when I'm out and about?

Thanks

J

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Ooh nice idea! That's basically what I do with my tinderbox, here is a list of ideas:

Chaga
Birch polypore (charred works great too)
Amadou
Cramp balls
Cat tail down
Birch bark
Clematis bark
Honeysuckle bark
Dyers polypore (a recent find for me, works a treat!)
Rosebay willow herb down
Cedar bark
Poplar bark

And I'm sure there's loads more- they are only the ones I've used myself, they all work- some are superior than others, but there's plenty of choice!

Hope this helps :).

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
For the box I'm sure I read somewhere in the past and I'm talking BC here and possibly Beaker people somewhere in a history book Clam shells have been used for tinder boxes and I'm not sure but I think the contents were thought to be powdered horses foot fungus.
Just to add a bit to the list above,
Pine resin and Birch tar.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use a big clabby dubh shell to hold the 'nest' and the glowing coal to blow up into flame; especially when I'm demonstrating Mesolithic, Neolithic and Bronze age firelighting. A paired set would hold the kit quite tidily for carrying.

M

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
i'm no expert, but ray says that part burned wood contains free radicals, and will begin to create embers quickly, so a bit of charred wood charcoal ?

Edit

also a bit of dried evergreen foleage is superb.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE