Natural Remedies

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I really don't know. I like the reassurance of knowing that I can deal with things myself. There's a tremendous contentment in knowing oneself capable in the natural world, in actually making something that works.
All of the real recipes for natural medicines give buts...."Three days, do you really need it more?" "Not for uses while the courses run" "If X then Y" "Pick only when the leaves are........."
I think we frequently expect our modern medicines to do it all, as fast as we want.
Our bodies rarely work that way, and I think using natural materials makes me more aware of what I'm doing.

For example.
If Ihave headache.
Either take 2 paracetamols and carry on what I was/need to, do/ing
or,
Why have I got a headache?
Thirst? too hot? too much sun? hormones? :rolleyes: eyestrain?

I may very well still take the paracetamols, but I'll think about it first, and the paracetamols might not be the best thing to take anyway. If it's thirst and too hot, I'd be better with a pint of mint & melissa tea and up to my knees or elbows in cool water. Migraine? well three feverfew leaves on a small slice of buttered bread works for me,*if* I take it at the first symptoms. Indigestion; find the Rennies or the fennel seeds? Can't sleep? Valerian tincture or sleeping tablet?
I think the real difference is I have time for natural remedies; I will make time for them; for most folks it's easier to pop a pill, and the pills are very *sure* and *safe* for people who have no other knowledge.

I will however, unerringly find the anti histamine's if I've been bitten by a cleg, the reaction if I don't is scary, and I don't know any natural cures for the bites. I can ease the itch, the swelling and help the healing with naturals but I can't stop the reaction.

I find it a fascinating subject; not just the all-clinical explantion of modern volumes and research, but the old wives tales and the fuller explanations that go with them.

atb,
Toddy

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Very true - the great thing about complimentary medicine is that it's more "holistic" which means rather than just popping a pill, you look at the reasons behind the headache (or whatever) and see if you can stop the cause rather than just treat the symptoms.

Also, complimentary medicine practitioners tend to make time for long consultations to have a proper chat with the patient. This helps with the placebo effect, and of course being in a better state of mind helps your physical body too.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Would you rub dock leaves on nettle stings to soothe the pain?

Or would you reach for hydrocortisone?

Depends where you are. Whatever works for you. If homeopathic/natural remedies work - great. If conventional medicine works - great.

It is thoughtless to say that homeopathic remedies are all bunkum; just as it is to exclusively use natural/homeopathic treatment and not conventional medicine for reasons of 'principles'.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i personally have found the following useful...

dock leaves for stings
feverfew for headaches
lavender to chill, sort out skin issues and hide the smell o me pits
tea tree for everything
aloe vera for everything
neem tree for mozzy bites.

apparently red onion is good for hayfever too.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Mikey P said:
Would you rub dock leaves on nettle stings to soothe the pain?

I rub crushed stinging nettle on a stinging nettle sting (homeopathy) and it works great, better than dock...........

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Really anything that washes off any of the stinging juice on the skin, neutralises the acid and soothes the skin irritation. A gentle soap and water (I've been making a lavender and tea tree one for soothing the myriad of little cuts I get from gardening) works quite well I find. Crushed chamomile, chickweed, horse chestnut leaves in water all work too.
Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE