Natural Materials - Linen

Now we have all talked about wool and how lovely and warm it is....(well my dutch army blanket is, thats for sure)... and how cotton is not great if next to the skin due to the moisture and heat being taken away from your body. That is just my general overview, I know there has been big debates on here about each one.

But what about linen? It was worn for centuries and I have seen a lot of re-enactors use it for their tunics.
How does linen fare in terms of clothing in the outdoors? Just curious on this one and it was a thought that popped into my head today.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I made myself a linen shirt and trousers for working on an Iron-age site ... and found them supurbly comfortable!
I was warned that the trouser fabric was not hard wearing due to the shortness of the staples but the shirt is (I was told) longer staple and should last a good while :)
Under wool the linen is comfortable and non-itch :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I'm a big fan of linen and it is good for summer trousers but, especially with trousers, the modern stuff is not very hard wearing. Hemp is better, thicker, tougher but just as breathable.

I was out in the wet today in a pair of linen shorts and they got soaked but felt comfortable even when saturated and dried very quickly.

Also, I find linen does not pong as quickly as cotton.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Hmmm how does the fabric handle in the cold and in the warm. Does it take any heat away from you in the cold?
The Finnish Defence Forces recommended and used linen underwear for decades during the summer from May to September but switched to cotton flannel for the winter. According to the research I got and read, linen has higher heat conductivity rating than cotton. I think this might have to do with the fact that it does absorb more moisture from the air and liquids than cotton (less than wool, though).

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I lived in India for a time, and when I was in Rajastan / Thar desert linen was my fabric of choice...... as it was for alot of the locals.

Ed

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Linen has two best uses in clothing; as Summer outer clothes, or against the skin underclothes all year round.

It lost out to cotton in the race to be produced mechanically simply because it's best feature, the long fibre length, and the need to be spun damp, didn't suit the emerging industrialisation of textile manufacturing.

Cotton, a very short staple (3cms is looooong for cotton) fibre is easily spun by machine and it creates a lovely thread for weaving. It's adaptable too, it can be woven as sheeting, as twill for denim or fluffly like flannel or knitted for tshirts, vests and underpants. For outer wear tight spun and tightly woven it makes ventile, or waxed for oilskins and wax jackets. Looped soft spun makes excellent towelling.
It's a thirsty fibre though; it absorbs lots and lots of water, and it holds it. Swells the fibres and stops more water getting through, as in ventile, or stops us dripping everywhere when used as towels :) Cotton is the seed fibres from the boll. Basically it's supposed to dry out in the heat and help dispersal of the seeds.

That staple length is the opposite for linen. Eventually the manufacturers sussed out how to spin long staple and then damp weave the cloth.

Linen is a water transport fibre with it's walls collapsed. It sheds water, doesn't trap it can't carry it along it's core any more, but sheds it from it's skin.

However, linen was produced by free farmers. Cotton was produced by slave labour and was much cheaper.
Eventually linen became a luxury crop and textile.

Cotton is a thirsty crop, it is high pesticide and high pollution, but the manufacturing is cheap once the fibres are picked.

Linen machinery aged, and technology didn't improve. Eventually it was simpler to cut those beautiful long fibres into short lengths and spin them that way :sigh:

Short length linen used to be called tow and was turned into poor quality fabric or good rope. Tow rag, not toe rag to describe an unruly child. Messy with bits of hair sticking out kind of thing.

Nowadays, one can find good quality linen, with longish staple length, and it's a superb cloth, lasts for hundreds of years (the Queen is still using Queen Victoria's table linens for instance, and I'm still using my great grandmother's :) ) but it's really expensive. A pillowslip will set you back nearly £50.

Medium quality linen is good stuff though, it lasts well and it's comfortable.
The more you wear it the more tiny, tiny wee micro fractures in the fibres allow it to bend rather than crease and it softens and becomes the most comfortable clothing you'll ever wear :D
It's not a heating layer though, but it's a wicking layer, it doesn't smell the way cotton can, it doesn't stay sweaty, and it protects the outer layers from bodily fluids and grime.

That said, mind the tow linen I mentioned ? well, too much 'linen' available isn't really as good as it should be. If it goes oosy, pooky, then it's not good linen, it's very mediocre stuff, and it'll wear much more quickly than long staple.

It's not the fibres fault, it's the manufacturers who cut the staple to spin short and thus cut costs.

However, in Northern and Eastern Europe folks did hang onto good linen production methods, and we do get a lot of really good linen coming in. There's still really good linen produced in Scotland, for furnishing fabrics though, and Irish linen can be very, very good indeed.

Basically most folks want cheap fabric. All too often though they get what they pay for and it's not the best use of the material.
Hamish's breeks are how linen ought to last...the first jeans were made of linen because it was so hard wearing.

Hemp is another bast fibre like linen and there's a lot of superb European hemp cloth available. It too lasts really well, is comfortable in wear and is a bit cheaper than linen.

Given a choice of cotton or linen, I'd choose the linen, and wear it until it's 'mine' kind of thing :D

Just my tuppence ha'penny worth :D

cheers,
M

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Fascinating post, thanks Mary.

How do you tell the difference between long and short staple linen when, say, you are shopping for a shirt or pair of trousers?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If the linen looks shiny then that's long smooth fibre lengths. That said, it doesn't stay shiny, but it can be 'polished' or smoothed......they used to use glisanders.........lumps of molten glass dropped onto an iron plate so that the bottom cooled flat and smooth....to iron linen.
If the linen doesn't stretch (when dry, wet it will) if the linen doesn't fluff on the surface when rubbed, then these are all indications of good long staple linen.

Short staple is inclined to be slubby and very supple and soft even when brand new.

Good linen needs worn, and then it softens in wear :) It's not 'hard' at first, just a little crisp and easily crumpable, so it looks in need of ironing.
If it's mixed with viscose it's not likely to be long staple, even though it'll be very comfortable to wear.

The weave isn't a good indication. I bought some beautiful twill woven Swedish linen (not Ikea :) ) and made a medieval gown from it. It lasted less than a season before it frayed to fluff at the seams :sigh: I should have known better, it was soft and almost flannel like on the surface.
Yet I bought plain tabby woven Irish linen at the same time and made a chemise from it, wore it as a nightgown, washed and tumbled it, for weeks on end, and it's still sound years later.
I can get it wrong, so apart from looking carefully at different varieties and weights of fabric, it's not going to be simple.

I'm sorry not to be of more help; it's a judgement call on every piece. If it creases crisply in the hand, it's likely to be better quality than the soft flannel like feeling stuff.
It's not always a price thing either, I bought linen trousers in Bon Marché and they have been brilliant, but the pair I bought from M & S were in the bin before Summer was out.
Sometimes it's just your luck.

atb,
M

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Hmmm...yes, I have a pair of M&S linen jeans which I use as summer walking /outdoor trousers or did until the holes started to appear.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have worn linen shirts and trousers in some quite hot climes, easy to pack, light to carry and easy to clean. Traditional clothing hereabouts uses a lot of linen and it seems to work well year round.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The Ikea Linen that you sent me Mary thanks again for that :)) is holding up pretty well - but my shirt from more expensive stuff hardly looks used :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Some of that Ikea stuff was really good, but some just frayed to fluff in no time at all. I think they changed suppliers because they couldn't get stock for a while, and then it was back in again. The second stuff was nowhere near as long wearing.
If your shirt is good stuff you'll still be wearing it years from now.

The other thing I should have mentioned is that linen doesn't get dirty as easily as cotton, and it doesn't stain as easily as cotton; the stain isn't absorbed so thoroughly is I suppose the simplest way to describe it.

Sandbender what sort of price is linen by the metre where you are ? No rush, just if you come across it :)

atb,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE