Native Feather Stick Making

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Nice post Bod, Do you think that guy's done it before? His knife must be seriously sharp :eek:
I like the technique of holding the knife stationary in the knee cleft (for ignorance of a better word) and drawing the wood backwards to get the curls.
I knew of the technique to sharpen sticks, but I've never thought of it before for feather sticks.I just gave it a go straight after seeing that dude and it works really well, and I lit the curls sraight off a firesteel, In fact I think it feels easier than the traditional drawing/pushing the knife down the wood towards the floor. Thanks Bod. I've learnt something new today..............nice one.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good vid Bod

I've used a knife in that position before for controlled cuts but never thought of using it for feather sticks, one to try me thinks.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Using the knife held stationary on your knee while drawing the wood over it was onr of the ways of making feather sticks I learned on a session at the wilderness gathering, but mine did not come out like that for some reason..... Maybe it because I am new to all this...

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
...I like the technique of holding the knife stationary in the knee cleft (for ignorance of a better word) and drawing the wood backwards to get the curls.
I knew of the technique to sharpen sticks, but I've never thought of it before for feather sticks.I just gave it a go straight after seeing that dude and it works really well, and I lit the curls sraight off a firesteel, In fact I think it feels easier than the traditional drawing/pushing the knife down the wood towards the floor. ....

Another benefit is that it is useful where you have a thick layer of leaf litter or damp soil and nothing to rest the end of the stick against and you can keep it off the ground.

Its probably the safest method having the knife immobile and no part of your body in front of the blade at any time.

For ceremonial purposes, a native can reduce a whole stick to 50-60 or more strands each 1.5 metres long . That is awesome.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Funnily enough, I discovered a couple of weeks ago that drawing the wood against the stationary knife worked far better for me than moving the knife. I think one has more control over the angle of the knife on the wood if done this way, so you're less likely to cut too shallow or too deep.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE