Native American Names

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My real given name translates from the original language as "Spirit of the Bear God"

A fact which in no way resembles me, and additionally I suspect a matter of which my parents were sublimely oblivious

Still cool as hell though
Nah - British Red suits you well ...especially (I am told) that one that was once editted down as your avatar.....

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
When I worked in Uganda I apparently had a name amongst the locals in the furthest project areas.

It translated as something like "White Rider".

This was because I always went out to the project sites on an old single gear bicycle rather than the Land Cruiser.
They grumbled to the local man I worked with that they never knew I was coming or from which direction as there wasn't the noise of an engine, and what was a muzungu doing riding a bicycle anyway, we were supposed to be too lazy !

(These 'suprise' visits lead to a few people getting in to rather a lot of trouble for work claimed to have been done but not, ..... they had some different names for me I'm sure !)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I think I might call my wife "Allergic to weather", since she manages to be uncomfortable regardless of the climatic conditions.

At primary school the teacher apparently called me the absent minded professor. These days I'm usually spidermike. I prefer Harvestman.

Oct 24, 2011
I know a very old joke about Native American names A small indian boy walks up to his mother and says "mother why do thay call you Happy Badger". "Well" says his mother "when I was born the first thing my mother sore when leaving the Tipi was a happy badger". "Oow" says the little boy. The boy walks over to his farther and says " Farther why do thay call you leaping horse. "Well" said his farther." when I was born the first thing my mother sore when she left the tipi was a leaping horse so I was called Leaping horse". "Oow" says the little boy.He then go's over to his Grandfarthers Tipi " Grandfarther why do thay call you soaring Eagle"."well" said his Grandfarther" When I was born the first thing my Mother sore when she left the tipi was a Soaring Eagle" "Ooow said the little boy "Why do you ask squatting dog" asked his Grandfarther. :). I know it is not PC but it is very old.

Oct 24, 2011
My name Eastwood is one of the oldest names in England it can be traced back to 1066. and before that it ment "Holy man of the Easten Wood "( Druid priest )

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I knew one native guy that told people his name was 'walking eagle'. When they asked him why he told them ''because I'm too fat to fly''.

Madpuppy

Dec 7, 2009
Blair, Nebraska U.S.A.
My name Madpuppy is a derivitive of a name I had in High School as I was a tad crazy (still crazy I guess), my wife is known as "Shops with a Fist".
Dances is a great movie, it was filmed about 5 hours from where I live. I make trips up to that area of South Dakota quite often and the history there is amazing. We were up that way once and stopped at an old west town that had Costners horse Cisco in a corral and got to feed him some hay, that was cool. They also had a ton of the movies props on display. I have not been to the Wounded Knee Memorial yet but we're riding the Harley's up there this next summer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE