National Geographic mag

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got a letter in the post this morning for a 12 month subscription to Nat Geo mag for only £15.

Do any of you get it and what could I expect to find in it each month ?

I've read the odd one over the years whilst sat in the dentists etc, but I've never actually bought one to sit down and read properly.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Never bought one myself but my dentist always has a copy in his surgery as well. Have enjoyed the copys i have read and have been impressed with the quality of the photos in them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funnily enough I got that offer this morning too...........with a fleece if I joined up as well.

I did subscribe a couple of years ago with an offer like this, but to be honest, we hardly read them at all :dunno:

Stunning photos though :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I guess it's not quite the same these days with cable TV and the web to explore, a magazine is probably not all that exciting. I grew up in the 70's and 80's and National Geographic magazines were absolute treasure to me. I'd have to say that Nat Geo was a tremendous influence and if I had never seen one my life would certainly have taken another course. I can't imagine it would have the same effect if I was growing up today.

The documentaries were great. The theme music still gives me goosebumps, even if they do only play the shorter version these days. I tell anyone who will listen: Watch "Eternal Enemies, Lions and Hyenas". I think this is just about THE best wildlife documentary of all time. For some reason, the Human Race made more sense to me after watching this.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Geographic-Video-Eternal-Enemies/dp/B00004CMHT
Ntwadumela, "He Who Greets With Fire", is just one "character'' you will never forget.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I have always found National Geographic and bit of a strange one in that I buy it from time to time, think the photos are stunning (I have the daily pic on my google homepage) but don't think I have ever read one cover to cover. That said its a nonprofit organisation so a suppose you could say 'it's for charity man'.

I will have to have another look at the offer as it dropped through my letter box yesterday as well.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Can't comment on the "grown up" version, but my 9 year old lad buys the kids version every month - out of his own pocket money!
NGK_06-07_08.gif

Simon

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
It is the kind of magazine people do not like to throw out and so they are often found for free over here. Maps are sometimes included with issues. I used to have some Nat Geo maps from the 1930's that showed the majority of Antarctica as terra incognita. That really captured my imagination.
http://www.maps.com/map.aspx?pid=15888

The images are what National Geographic are all about. There isn't that much writing and that's kind of what I liked as a kid. Some of those pictures are absolutely etched into my mind. I think it had to do with the limited number of media available 30 years ago. That one magazine had to last a month and so I really got to know each issue. Now I've got the google earth and what seems like an infinite number ways to of zip around and collect information on just about any topic. Anyway, great magazine; I don't have a subscription but if I had kids I would.

ixion

Mar 15, 2009
West Yorkshire
I've been subscribed to the NG for a couple of years now, and I would say that it is patchy, but still well worth it.
As has been said before, the quality of photography is always stunning.
Normally every issue has at least one interesting article, and at least every quarter there is something that I find utterly fascinating.
Also once you have a few kicking around, they are a brilliant resource, and you never know what you might find in the backissues.
For £15 - IMO it would be rude not to...

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE