Nasty supermarket chicken - time to go hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

silva

Jun 11, 2012
Welshpool
Nasty supermarket chicken for tea last night - Yuk - I think its time to go hunting !
I bought some chicken yesterday and it was very nasty to eat even by my own low standards. All fat, skin and squidghyness, no texture or flavour to the meat at all - could taste the conditions it was reared in.
Used to eat game, rabbits and other unwary wildlife all the time, but seemed to got out of the habit these last few years. If it ever stops raining I think I will dust off my shooting iron and go a hunting later on. Even if you just joint it out, fry it up and stir in a jar of curry sauce rabbit tastes great.
Cheers

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Strange thing is, in blindfold tests, most can't tell the difference between free range and factory farmed. You say you have low standards how did you cook the chicken?

silva

Jun 11, 2012
Welshpool
Strange thing is, in blindfold tests, most can't tell the difference between free range and factory farmed. You say you have low standards how did you cook the chicken?

Roasted it in the oven with a bit of salt sprinkled on it. I'm no food nazi but you can definately tell the difference in taste between the the budget chickens and the posh ones.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've been working in the butchers shop on a biodynamic farm for a few months, and I actually can't go back to eating sh*t meat. Think I'd rather be veggie! The chicken particularly as it goes... It does cost more, but I've just adjusted the cuts we eat, and I bulk it out with organic veg and wild foods. Hugh Fernly did a blind taste test on a program on the tele. as I remember a resounding sucess for the free range bird. Maybe people who just shovel it in can't tell the difference, but I'd call that a distinct lack of awareness of what you're eating! I'm with Silva, rabbit and wild mushroom cassarole every time! :)

silva

Jun 11, 2012
Welshpool
Funnily enough I've been working by a soil association certified, organic small holding this week and the lady gave me some eggs from the chickens roaming around, which definately tasted much better than supermarket ones as boiled them up together and we all had one of each.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I eat the full range of meat from factory produce to local produce, I eat meat, something dies to feed me so I can't moan if it comes from a field or factory. Special offer on corn fed Chicken in Tesco today, only about six quid so not bad for a mid week meal.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I tend to only eat meat from our local, reputable butcher now, and even then we choose to ask about the provenance of the food prior to purchase. I've even phoned up the farms where his pork and turkeys are ultimately sourced, so I know the guy's legit. Whilst I agree that some of the 'factory' foods do taste good, this may be as a result of processing and the addition of salt. I can certainly tell that I've eaten poor quality meat a few hours afterwards, if you catch my drift :/

I have personally never found a supermarket steak, chop, burger or sausage etc to rival a butchers own (save home-grown produce. But that's a different animal!).

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Aye, you cannae beat a good tasty tescos chicken.

DSC_5802.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE