Nanok sleeping bags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
I've got a Mountain Equipment sleepwalker 1 sleeping bag. It's nice and light, compact, cheap and I find it suitable for all year round use. Bare in mind that i'm a very warm sleeper and can cope with little insulation. For summer use a micro fleece bag from trek mates. I can chuck it your way to test in you like sargey when I return your stuff?

nearly missed this bit! yeah thanks mate that'd be cool!

cheers, and.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Hi, new member here. :chill: :wave:

I own a Nanok Endurance SF -25 C which is a truly wonderful bit of kit. Warm, machine washable(!), well designed (baffles, no cold spots from glue, armholes). I'd recommend these to anyone. I usually sleep in base and mid layer in them, and have never been cold, even in the Finnmarksvidda in winter (Northern Norwegian tundra!). Also the Endurance clothing is equally fantastic.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
With my Softie definitely on it's last legs (actually past being on it's last legs) I've got to purchase a new bag over the winter. The recent comments about the Mountain Equipment bags have sort of swung me in that direction although I would still consider another Softie as I never had any trouble staying warm in mine. The Nanok bags are by all accounts, good kit. But in the pics I've seen they look enormous in comparison to the Snugpak bags.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Martyn said:
.....I've just bought one of these too (Ajungilak Grevling)...
http://www.mammut.ch/ajungilak/katalog.asp?view=detail&did=36&dart=3&tid=1875

Which is supposed to add 2-3degC to the bag. Should be toasty. At 86cm x 220cm, it should fit over the Osprey (82cm x 210cm approx) nicely, with a bit to spare. BTW, has anyone tried the Grevling? I bought it as a sort of "fair weather bivvy cum bag protector" for lowland, 3 season use. The base is waterproof, but the top is a water-resistant, breathable poly-cotton. My rationalle is I also have a waterproof army poncho, which I could throw over the top in a real and unexpected downpoor, but for normal use, this lightweight poly-cotton bivvy, plus hootch would be enough. It might even have an element of spark resistance for bivvying near an open fire. It was £40.

I've used the Grevling a lot, but have to say that I dont like it much, and do not use it a lot anymore. I find that although it should be pretty breathable you will still get condensation on the inside. But compared to the two different types of GoreTex bivi bags that I have tried, I find it a lot better.
I almost always get condensation in it. The only exception was once when I was sleeping outside a snowcave in -27 degrees celcius. I felt very warm and slept in my underwear only, but no condensation. The two nights before I had slept inside the snowcave and got plenty of condensation. Two other guys had GoreTex bivi bags which didn't work properly in the cold, and got lots of condensation.
I prefer to use the sleeping bag alone, a groundsheet, a hammoch and a hootchie (South African Defence Force Recce tarp, Fjellduken or me Danish Army issue tarp). But I do admit that if I expect severe and wet conditions (rain or lots of wet snow) then I at least sometimes take the Grevling with me (I very rarely use a tent).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE