nanok boot bucket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Hello,

Is the boot bucket of the endurance line fixed inside the bag? If yes, how? If it is velco, does the velco snag on socks when used withou the boot bucket? I could not find this in another thread... :eek:

I know I ask a lot about Nanok, but I am still deciding if I'm going to get one and if it will be a 0C or a -10C :confused:

Is 200 cm for the 0C the bag length or the max user length. I'm 1.73 m tall (or short, whatever :D ).

Oh yeah, anyone have the exact weight of the boot bucket and the compression sack? In case I want to save weight..

Thanks,

Bjorn

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
The boot bag is velcro'd to the inside, and the softer bit of the velcro is attached to the bag, so when you take the boot bucket out, you don't have a horrible scratchy thing attacking your feet or socks...

Hang on and I'll weigh the bits.. Just a sec...

OK, according to my digital kitchen scales, the two items weigh a total of 221g.

Not sure about the lengths on the 0c, mine's a -25... :)

ODG

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
The 200cm I think is the bag length I'm 1.83 metres 109kg and there is plenty of room inside for me. I would recommend the -10c bag to extend its seasonal range if you get too warm with the twin zip two way opening design its easy to regulate the temp, less fuss than having to make sure you have enough clothing to stay warm with the cooler bag.
Dave.

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Hello Nemisis,

You have a -10? If yes, do you not find it a bit too heavy to carry around? How does it go inside you backpack? Does it take up the entire sleeping bag compartment (or even more :eek: )?
This morning I found another buyer for my down bag. Very good bag but too fragile for what I use it for. That's why the endurance range is so appealing to me, but my down bag was a -5 and 900g... That is 1400g (2300 - 900) less than the Nanok... :eek:
How does it resist to stuffing? Lost a lot of loft?

Math at backpacker level: backpack + 1400g = unhappy backpacker :eek:

Thanks,

Bjorn

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bjorn,

No two ways about it....its big and heavy! I have a -10 too and am planning on buying a -25 for my girlfriend who sleeps cold (I'm better "insulated").

I've used down in past, but for more "wild" applications, I find it too fragile and its useless when it gets wet!. I guess it depends...are you going to use it in a tent, basha hammock or what? With ot without a bivi bag?

The weight doesn't bother me, but I would like it smaller - but then I guess it would be colder...you could try a Snugpak - they go a lot smaller but (in my view) the temperature guides are somewhat optimistic!

Red

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Hi Bjorn,

In terms of length, you wont have a problem...I'm 1.94m and fit inside the 0oC very comfortably. With a cotton liner, trousers and long sleeved t-shirt and a wool jacket over the bag (Nothing that I didnt have with me anyway) I have slept snuggly in -8oC.

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
To Red,

I plan to use it under a tarp without a bivvy bag. I have not gotten wet under a tarp, (except for dew and mist "falling" on my sleeping bag, leaving it a bit "clammy"), but I am always soaked in a bivvy. Yes, it's gore tex :eek: .

To Andy,

The size is what worries me! There is too much space between me and the sleeping bag. I would have to heat up a lot of useless air inside the bag.
Maybe the performance range is narrower?

Bjorn

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Bjorn Victor said:
...The size is what worries me! There is too much space between me and the sleeping bag. I would have to heat up a lot of useless air inside the bag.
Maybe the performance range is narrower?

Bjorn

Hello Bjorn,

From memory, the 0º is over-sized so that a -10º will fit inside the 0º bag, and so provide a combined protection down to something like -20º. I advise to check out the Nanok Web site for precise details.

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE