Name that BEAST (Just for fun)

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
:D So far you are all wrong. That beast is called FRED I have met him and he is a savage little creature. Rocks your hammock at night and then runs so you think nothing is there and then creeps around the camp just outside of your line of sight putting the creepers up you.:D :ban:

Greg

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Yellowish and fluffy with a black nose :dunno:
Pudsy seems like a good guess by rich59 to me!
Or Teddy Bear Gryls perhaps :aargh4: :rolleyes:

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Well, we had some good shots at it, but it gives me great pleasure to say you all got it wrong :p

So..... the answer is a WASP SPIDER. They have moved in on my patch this year, and as our climate changes they become more common. Quite a large spider that sits lurking in its web within the tall grasses. Very pretty IMO.

waspspider600.jpg

Thanks for looking

Kris

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Ooh nice one, never seen one before..Got any info on them Kris..?

I know a little, its thought that they were introduced to this country from continental Europe.

The females have a body size of 10-15mm although they often look bigger, the males are much small, around 5mm.

They build an orb web with a vertical zigzag pattern of silk in the middle, this is what I first noticed. They also seem to be in long grass so if its cut on a regula basis they don't hang around.

They are pretty much only found down south (mainly east coast) but I hear they are moving north slowly.

I saw about 15 this year.

Kris

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Hi Jon,

Its a case of getting your eye in with these little chaps as they always face the wrong way, so most us would just walk past without noticing them. The key is too look for the zigzag in the web!

Kris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE