Nalgene BPA free bottle 1 lt & GSI stainless cup 140 cc

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Hi all,
just received these items, the Nalgene 1 lt. BPA free could'nt release toxic substances (at least, hope), and stainless cup GSI 140 cc (a big tea cup, more or less). Nalgene bottle fit exactely on the GSI, the total wheigt is very low. First thoughs are good, need of course to try on bush to be sure.
Ciao, Alfredo

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Excuse the silly question, but i see Nalgene bottles mentioned on here fairly often... What are they usually used for if you dont mind me asking?

Water i take it?

Regards, TBL.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
LoL shewie... I've also seen that mentioned several times!

and cheers lub0, interesting that they can handle highly acidic contents, so i guess they are booze safe :)

Regards TBL.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Yes I would say they handle acidic liquids well, although I will also add that they do retain odour and stains unless you give them a good scrub and rinse out.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Excuse the silly question, but i see Nalgene bottles mentioned on here fairly often... What are they usually used for...

Not a silly question. There are a variety of Nalgene bottles made in different shapes and sizes and from different materials. The manufacturer started life making containers for use in laboratories and I believe it still makes such products. One of the materials that they use is a polycarbonate (one of the trade names for it is 'Lexan') which is probably the toughest plastic you will ever come across. It's used to make bullet proof windows for example. Polycarbonate Nalgene bottles are very very tough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalgene

Unfortunately the polycarbonate is (was?) manufactured by reacting together two toxic chemicals. At one time traces of the reagents in the finished product were found to be leaching into the liquids that were stored in the containers and that gave 'Lexan' a bad rep. They changed the name.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Geordie9

Forager
Oct 25, 2010
Hampshire
I have the same set up in my EDC bag. I haven't tried cooking/ boiling anything in the cup yet but I have had no problems with them yet.

think

Jul 19, 2011
Yorkshire Dales
Usually yeah, sometimes used as pee bottles by the hammockers (wide necked you see :) )

They make a useful hot water bottle for really cold winter camping plus they stand up well to abuse.
We used a couple as pee bottles when we were climbing last winter. Just make sure you label the bottles up correctly so no nasty accidents (I use green and black warning tape)

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I use the nalgene bottles , I think they are great. I use mine with a 700ml snowpeak ti cup which is also an exact fit with the bottle and if I am out for a bit longer my msr water filter also screws directly on to the bottle helping to reduce the chance of cross contaminating my drinking water

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
If anyone's looking for a stainless steel bottle to nest in their gsi/tatonka steel mug, the Klean Kanteen 1200ml widemouth bottle is a perfect fit. Dear though, £20

Also the bottom of a large dogwood tin fits very well round the mug, giving you a water bottle, mug and hexi/small hobo stove all in one tidy package.

Cheers

Mat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE