Naked and Afraid...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Talking of knives, no one seemed to take a high carbon steel knife/machete with them, so they could use it strike sparks off the back of it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Away from home just now and downloaded all seven episodes, not as bad as I thought and it passed the time. A couple of the women put the men to shame.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
just watched the first 4 of these, I must say all of them had a blade of some kind they all struggled to make fire. I doubt I could make a fire in the conditions they found themselves, well worth watching.
I am now taking a good look at any skills I think I had :(

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
While I am not a huge fan, I certainly see the value of the show. As we speak, there are probably several threads going on on this very forum with all sorts of claims being made about how people can survive in the wilderness using their buschraft skills. This show lets people put their money where their mouth is. So far most of the participants have not done as well as they imagined when they were writing about it online.

Very well said. I've only seen the one episode so far and will watch a few more. I'm interested in the mental side of it all TBH. I would like to know how I would fair, I'm guessing not well.

DaveBoon

Nov 23, 2012
Cheltenham
Seen two episodes so far (1 & 5). I think it gets across how any real survival situation is an endurance ordeal, both physically & mentally. Shows how you spend all your time just keeping going, and lacking water & food quickly takes a toll on energy levels. Interesting theory on whether to take a risk on drinking spring water to stave off severe dehydration, or use your last moments of energy to work on getting a fire going so you can purify the water first. Refreshing that they don't always make it too - shows even people who think they're experts have a incredibly tough time when thrown into an unknown & hostile environment.

Seems to have been a 3 week ordeal, rather than any sort of fun they'd willingly do again.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
After a few days, they are typically too hungry and their energy is too low to do anything. As Jared pointed out, the biggest lesson seems to be that primitive fire lighting is very difficult under real conditions.[/QUOTE]

It's maybe not very obvious that those that have routinely trained their body systems to go hungry for a 3, 4, 5 days stretch will still have some energy to function with vital tasks such as setting up signal fires and collecting 5 X as much firewood as they THINK they are going to need to get them through the night. Those that have not, are likely to have nothing left when it comes to persevering with friction fire.
I can believe survivorman when he has to make fire in real non set up conditions and it takes far longer than he was hoping. Don't know quite what to believe when it just seems to happen on camera asif by magic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE