Mystery sign

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
whilst out and about today l found this sign next to some fungi, does anyone know what it means.
1063575939_bb06e1291b.jpg

1063572563_185ce2ff10_b.jpg

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
It’s a old (pre Wicca) pagan fertility symbol, one for the mother goddess, in her three aspects. Maiden, Mother and Crone. Or it may be a warning that the mushrooms are not edible, woodmen and tramps have all sorts of symbols that they use to warn of their clans about the nature of things a head
Or it could be someone messing with a bit of straw and a twig. You can never tell.:rolleyes:

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
well there you go. Its on a trail where someone has carved animals into sand stone boulders.there was a pagan wedding there also. So me thinks its the wicca thingy

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
well there you go. Its on a trail where someone has carved animals into sand stone boulders.there was a pagan wedding there also. So me thinks its the wicca thingy

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Definately Wiccan and a fertility symbol. From what I remember from the weddings I've attended, it's given to the bride and groom by the female attendant. I think it's supposed to be made by the mothers or sisters of both sides of the joining.

Not sure about the fungus, but that's not surprising. I know very little about the subject.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I think its fantastic that this was found and that there are still people who prepare these for others to find. I've got no idea what it is though.:rolleyes:

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
http://www.a2jlp.co.uk/photos/capontree.html

this may interst some of you also, its in the same area as the wicca thingy?
the last bit about the thing put round it

I think the item found in the capon tree is a hoax, items are left by pagans in stricken or dying trees the same items are left in the vicinity of anything that is dying in order to make their passing easier and complete

N

NewCaveMan

Thats cool in Ive never seen any wicca signs or anything like that does anyone have anymore pictures and meanin's

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
what makes you think its a hoax

I think it may be a student thing as I have never come across anything like that ..and have asked friends and they are at a loss as to the purpose, in the woods around the west Lothian I have seen the activities of many coven's and the signs and artifacts left behind does that answer you Question

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE