Mystery Item

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Can anybody identify what this wooden hoop thing is? It has been boggling staff and visitors to a local charity shop nuts for the last month.

IMAG2777.jpg

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I have absolutely no idea.
BUT I'm still gonna have a guess.
Is it something to do with embroidery or cross stitch to stretch a piece of circular work while stitching??

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Looks like the lower arch can rotate out from under the larger making a dome-like thing. Any chance of a picture of the metal assembly at the bottom?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought it looked a bit like the old laundry bag holders. The kind that took a pillowslip and hung from the back of a door.

I'd like to see more photos for more detail though.

M

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Looks like a device for closing a huge traditional Cornish pasty, you open it up and lay flat and lay your big pastry disc over it, fill as needed and then close back up sealing your massive pasty, i might just be really hungry right now waiting for my sausage sandwich to cook so i'm seeing food everywhere

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Looks like a device for closing a huge traditional Cornish pasty, you open it up and lay flat and lay your big pastry disc over it, fill as needed and then close back up sealing your massive pasty, i might just be really hungry right now waiting for my sausage sandwich to cook so i'm seeing food everywhere

mmmmmm huge tradiotional Cornish pasty! (Homer Simpson Voice)

starsailor

feisty celt
Further looking about suggests it might be a quilting hoop; I found this image on the net, quite like it?

hoop.jpg

I'm a quilter - would you be willing to go back and buy this for me please? Happy to reimburse ofcourse, pay Paypal fees and p&p

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I must get some bonus points for my embroidery/cross stitch suggestion! Paxman would say I was close enough!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Further looking about suggests it might be a quilting hoop; I found this image on the net, quite like it?

Nothing like it at all apart from them both being semi circular.

Embroidery/sewing/quilting hoops are designed to grip the material and the mystery object wouldn't be be able to do that due to the spacer halfway around as well as the gap between the wooden parts.

I reckon Toddy is the closest so far

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I'm not competitive (and if you believe that I'll tell you another), so not worried about winning as long as get enough bonus points for an honourable mention.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
There is some wear around the middle hook which looks like the bracket will go there for wall mounting. Then there's quite a bit of wear around the inside of the ring.
Do those pulley wheel looking things where the hooks are spin?

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
closeup.jpg
It does not appear to tighten up the half hoops but if you want I will get it for you, they are asking £2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE